collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I think I saw some old man and he was real good on the guitar, on the chords, and he didn't sing that good, just play something like that, and I copied some of that and put the words to it. And Blind Blake used to have something kinda in that style. He would play in that style and I thought he was a real good guitar player. Nice chords. Played finger style. - Jesse Babyface Thomas explains how he wrote Blue Goose Blues, interview in Shreveport, La., ca. 1989

Author Topic: Jimmy Dawkins RIP  (Read 1516 times)

Offline alyoung

Jimmy Dawkins RIP
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
On the AP wire today:

CHICAGO (AP)  Chicago bluesman Jimmy ``Fast Fingers'' Dawkins, known for his excellent guitar playing and mellow singing voice, has died. He was 76.

Delmark Records owner Bob Koester said Dawkins died Wednesday. The cause of death wasn't immediately known.

Dawkins was born in Mississippi. An only child, Dawkins taught himself to play guitar before moving to Chicago in the 1950s.

Koester says Dawkins began playing Chicago's blues clubs in the 1960s, gaining a reputation as an excellent side man and playing with such notables as Otis Rush and Buddy Guy.

Dawkins recorded his first album on the Delmark label in 1969.

Koester says the album boosted Dawkins' reputation, particularly in Europe and Japan, where he toured frequently. Dawkins also was a frequent contributor to Living Blues magazine.  -AP

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline JohnLeePimp

Re: Jimmy Dawkins RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
RIP Jimmy

I was just thinking about this exact scene a few hours ago
(33mins in)

http://youtu.be/yvZz4lLMQ4k?t=33m16s
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
A little known fact. He used to submit a monthly column "blues news from Chicago" for Blues Unlimited which ran from 1969 to 1972. These I think were prompted after Bob Koester showed him. Living Blues didn't come into being until the summer of 1970.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
I saw Jimmy "Fast Fingers" Dawkins play at the famous 100 Club in London in the early 1970s. He was a fine electric guitarist who put in a magnificent performance. Sad to hear of his passing.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:31:55 AM »
I saw Jimmy "Fast Fingers" Dawkins play at the famous 100 Club in London in the early 1970s.
Hot damn, good memory. My pocket diary says Friday 14th April 1972. I'll see if I can find a review of the event. I think he was touring to promote his latest LP (Fast Fingers).

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal