collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Its like somebody making your lip speak, making it say things he thinks.... The Blues is a slow story. The feeling of the beautiful things that happen to you is in the Blues; it's a home language like two friends talking. It's the language everybody understands. You can inject into people with the instrument I think. - Trumpeter Henry Red Allen on the blues

Author Topic: Blind Blake Biograph LP  (Read 944 times)

Offline BluesForMe

• Howdy!
Blind Blake Biograph LP
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
I have been a lurker for a while now, content to just browse.  I now have a question for the group.
I recently purchased the "Blind Blake No Dough Blues" by Biograph Records (BLP-12031) at a used book store.  Upon removing the LP when I returned home, I discovered that the Biograph label on side A was for Blind Blake, but the Biograph label for side B was for Thomas "Fats" Waller (BLP-1005Q-B).  Upon playing the LP, it is indeed the Blind Blake record on both sides, as listed on the back of the album cover.  Is this a "one-off" error by Biograph, or have any of you encountered this type of LP mislabeling before?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Blind Blake Biograph LP
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it wasn't Biograph manufacturing their own records, labels and jackets back in the day. It was probably a mix up at the plant. And this kind of thing wasn't/isn't limited to LPs and their labels. Canned goods and beverages were also fair game, whether by accident or intentional mischief. A guy I knew who worked in a liquor store told me that they'd get six packs come through with what looked like the random can of soda thrown in. They'd pull it out, open the can and sure enough, it would be beer in the can. Someone probably mixed them at the can manufacturer and the misfit just slipped through QC, if in fact there was any QC.

Offline Booker Matches

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:24 PM »
I once bought a brand new shrink-wrapped Bessie Smith CD for $1. The CD track listing was nothing like what was printed on the cover, I'm guessing that rather than junk the whole pressing they sold of the lot reasoning that no-one would complain about spending $1.

There was the mess with Dylan's "The Freewheelin? Bob Dylan" where several tarcks didn't make it to the pressing but early copies had them listed on the cover, so evn the big guns of the recording industry slip up sometimes.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
Slightly off topic but I have a cookbook by Mahdur Jaffrey, quite a thick hardback tome with fantastic and authentic recipes. I know they're authentic having travelled in India for 6 months in the 70's, where part of my personal quest was to learn to cook Indian food, which I love, properly.

I picked it up for a couple of dollars in Auckland. The contents and index are totally and completely wrong. However it remains my go-to reference for authentic Indian cooking, once I figured out how to navigate it without contents or index.

My point is it's not just records and CDs that get unleashed on the cheap, post production, with huge documentation errors. But I reckon it's the major content that matters. I often flick through it and imagine the consternation at the publisher when they realized what they had. I don't care, I got a deal!

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 02:36:39 AM »
My copy is correctly labelled on both sides.

I wouldn't have thought that so many copies were sold that multiple pressings were necessary.

Offline BluesForMe

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:05:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I guess I just got "lucky" with this copy.
I have a modest record collection, including Dylan's "Freewheelin" LP, and this is the first mislabeling I had encountered.
Any idea when Biograph produced this Blind Blake LP?  Finding issue dates for LPs always seems to be difficult.

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
 This is the site you need.

https://www.wirz.de/music/ojlfrm.htm

1971 is the listed issue date.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal