collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't like the way he sang. He was my brother, but he just had a way (Sings) 'Saddle up my pony, hook up my black maaaaare...' I didn't like that!... Now he picks good, but he just brings that song out, like there's somebody choking to death - Sam Chatmon on Charley Patton, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: How You Want It Done - Big Bill Broonzy  (Read 732 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
    • Delta Slim's Youtube Channel
How You Want It Done - Big Bill Broonzy
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
Here's something I've been working on for years... and still haven't really gotten it down like the original. I guess it's impossible to approach one of my idols, Big Bill.

"In life I was silent; In death I sweetly sing"

http://www.youtube.com/deltaslim

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
Re: How You Want It Done - Big Bill Broonzy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
Love thing song, always have, I am pretty sure he plays the tune in that film of him on the porch and he doesn't use a thumbpick, he flatpicks it and I believe you would get it smoother that way but I am still impressed it's a pretty solid performance. Yes it's hard to copy an idol but not impossible. There is another cover of this song I have seen on youtube, I was wondering if that's where you picked up on how to play the tune (of course maybe that guy is copying your cover) or straight off the record ?
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
I tried to learn directly from Big Bill's recording but I have not learned all the licks and runs yet. ive seen other people on Youtube do it, much better and more faithful to the original if I might add.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
Yes, one guy I saw do it was very good but there is nothing wrong with your version at all and the more you play it the tighter it will get I am sure. It's one of my top 3 or 4 Broonzy tunes.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline deltaslim

• Blues & Roots
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »
Yes, one guy I saw do it was very good but there is nothing wrong with your version at all and the more you play it the tighter it will get I am sure. It's one of my top 3 or 4 Broonzy tunes.

Yes, it's one of my top Broonzy tunes, too, but it took me a while to even have the guts to try and learn it.

What's interesting about Broonzy is how he straddles styles and genres, which made me less Delta-focused. As in this case and in John Henry he can flatpick country-style. But he does ragtime just as well as anybody (Long Tall Mama, Bill Bailey, etc.). And he can make a pop tune bluesy (Glory of Love, When did you leave heaven). Just an amazing, all-around artist, definitely one of the greatest ever IMHO.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal