collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
As the world changes, so does the blues. The blues are the true facts of life - Willie Dixon, Frets interview

Author Topic: John Hurt's money molder  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Doug

Re: John Hurt's money molder
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
If MJH sang a phonetic approximation aproximation of a line he had heard elsewhere, does anyone have any theories of what that line might have been?  This could be fun, but I don't have anything good yet.

"Gonna buy my baby a money order"  ??

(I know it's not what he's singing, but if he dragged the 'm' sound from money it could be pronounced "a money morda", which is sort of close...)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »
I have to think that this is a reference to plantation currency. Many large plantations had their own currency systems and manufactured coins to be used, guess where? the ol' proverbial company store. Its not too far fetched to imagine a device similar to the bullet molders used by country folks as late as the early twentieth century being adapted to rough coin manufacturing for small scale production.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:02 PM »
I have to think that this is a reference to plantation currency.

This certainly makes sense. I remember boardwalk arcade amusements that would stamp a coin with various inscriptions chosen by the user. There was also one where you put a penny in and it was molded into a coin or medallion with an inscription different from the original penny. I'm sure that there were commercial equivalents used for producing plantation script on a larger scale. Whether an individual plantation would have its own, or whether it would be farmed out is something I know nothing about.

The theme of the whole song is 'Mind your own business," one that occurs in various forms in other songs. The verses are whimsical and aren't to be taken literally. The point being no matter what I do, it ain't nobody's business but my own.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
I have to think that this is a reference to plantation currency. Many large plantations had their own currency systems and manufactured coins to be used, guess where? the ol' proverbial company store. Its not too far fetched to imagine a device similar to the bullet molders used by country folks as late as the early twentieth century being adapted to rough coin manufacturing for small scale production.

Makes a lot of sense, OMuck. If I sing this, I'm going with molder rather than molar.  :D The 'd' is there, and now we at least have a plausible explanation.

A couple examples of plantation scrip in coin form attached (from Louisiana - couldn't find a Miss. example after very limited Googling).

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »
There are some pictures of Dockery plantation scrip in the Calt/Wardlow Patton bio.
Chris

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
Thanks for that explanation, O'Muck, it beats the hell out of the dental one, which was driving me nuts.  Thanks also for posting the photos of the plantation scrip, Andrew, that's fascinating.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »

A one man Viking mint! Maybe Olaf the Gnarley hung out at Dockerys?
(The photo is from a Viking revival festival)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:51:32 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
The only other version of the song that I've heard with the Pensacola line in it chose to rhyme it with 'Coca-Cola'.

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
Ohhh! He's going to buy her the contraption so that she can create as many coins/have as much money as possible! Now it makes sense! How could I have missed something so obvious?
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal