collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now folks, buy this record. It's worth the money - Uncle Dave Macon, "The Gal That Got Stuck On Everything She Said"

Author Topic: Ain't No Use Tellin' on Me  (Read 2066 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Ain't No Use Tellin' on Me
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:38 PM »
Howdy:

Last week I had a chance to record at a friends place and I took it. I regard these sessions as a "checkup", to hear what I sound like. Well, here's what I sound like. What I don't like is: I play the tunes at too quick a tempo and my vocals sound better in the lower octave of my vocal range and the key of G is difficult for me (See Bye Bye Baby Blues). And I hum during the instrumental sections(?) and I .....

I recorded:
1) Ain't No Use Tryin' to Tell on Me by M. Minnie
2) I Got Mine by F. Stokes et all
3) It Won't Be Long Now by F. Stokes
4) Two Time Blues by A. Pettis
5,6,7) Corpus, Bye Bye Baby and Hurry Blues by LH Jones
8) Spreadin' Snake Blues by BB Broonzy

Here's "Ain't No Use Tryin' to Tell on Me" by Memphis Minnie from 1933.
I fluff some stuff and accidentally extend one of the instrumental break, to remember the next verse. I've been playing this one for about a week, so I expect and would appreciate criticism from anyone.

C position, Standard tuning. Played on my 1933 L-00. Just before I'd broken a nail on my middle finger, which catches slightly on the high E string, brightening it's tone considerably.

Thanks,
Alex
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:48:35 PM by GhostRider »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Ain't No Use Tellin' on Me
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
Hey Alex - sounding good. Great tune. Great guitar. I'll get right to the critical parts, which is what you ask for:

1) The song is repetitive and, as played by Minnie, has a few tricks in the bass to give it more forward motion. It sounds to me like she is playing a Blind Blake-like stumble bass fairly frequently. At other times she may be doing something that I think Blind Boy Fuller does occasionally in these C rags -- it isn't a stumble bass, but hitting the bass ahead of the beat, exactly where you would start a stumble bass, without following through. Like on the "a" of a-1 a-2 a-3 a-4. (Edited to add: actually that's probably more an "and" than an "a" -- and-1 and-2 etc.) I'm not saying you need to play it exactly like Minnie, I'm just saying those touches propel the guitar forward more than a monotonic bass, IMO.

2) You're occasionally straining in the vocal. It might be that you're still getting used to it. But otherwise you might want to change a couple notes. There's some spots where you go high and don't have to (for instance "I wants it, I wants it..."). Or tune down a half step.

Looking forward to hearing some of the other tracks! Two Time Blues is on my to-do list - what a great tune.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:29:13 PM by andrew »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
Hi Alex.

I think you are, again, doing a stellar work here.

There are a few minor fluffs with the guitar rhythm, but that'ts just the normal stuff you've gotta live with.

The key is obviously a tiny bit high for you to sing, but it's nothing like impossible for you to work with. You can sing every required note, but you could be more accurate with some of the pitches. Since you are playing out of C standard, I would recommend, that you create a "practice arrangement"  with maybe just some strummed chords, and drop down a whole step or something. You might quickly find yourself at ease on C back again.

Edited to add: Andrew beat me to it.  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:27:24 PM by Pan »

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »
Thanks, guys. That's just the kind of critism I wanted. Be brutal :D

Alex

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
With a bit of work I think the vocal would be fine at the pitch you're singing.  I like your vocal quality and general delivery a lot.

(Sorry.  I tried to be brutal.   ;))

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »
OK Alex, I'll be brutal.

Who are you kidding? Time to toss in the towel, pack up that L-00 and ship it to me. Really.  8)

(Still looking forward to Two Time Blues played on a different guitar...)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »
Great effort Alex.  I don't recall hearing you sing so close to the top of your range before. There are a few missed pitches and your voice sounds slightly strained but I agree with dj, don't give up on singing in this range -- it gives your vocal a lot of energy.  You're almost there so keep singing in this range, stretch it (if that's possible for an old fart like you).  Other than that your vocal sounds natural and I also like it in this range.

The guitar work is excellent, as usual. 

Tags: Memphis Minnie 1933 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal