collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't but one way to play the blues and that's play the blues. You can't mix Lionel Hampton in with the blues. You can't mix the Cream in with the blues. You can't mix Joe and the Fish in with the blues. You can't mix the Rolling Stones in with the blues. Now if you want to play something by the Rolling Stones, you go rehearse their stuff and go play it by them. But you won't be playin no blues - Albert King

Author Topic: Little Laura Blues  (Read 2052 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Little Laura Blues
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »
Another test confection I've demoed for an upcoming recording session. S.J.Estes' "Little Laura". 
1st guitar in Spanish, 2nd in standard.
Recorded with Garage Band via an AKG1000 through my son's Apogee Duet preamp thingee. Shame the mp3ing squashes so much out.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Little Laura Blues
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Hi Phil,
What a great tune to do, and I don't know that I've ever heard anyone else do it, apart from Sleepy John, though I remember his version was based on an earlier song.  Kudos on the original guitar arrangement.  If you pitch it a bit higher, 1/2 or 1 step, your vocal will probably brighten up and project a bit more.  I never noticed before how much the melody is like that of Alec Johnson's "Sundown Blues".  Good work.
all best,
Johnm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice John. I've played this off and on for about 10 years and taught myself it in Spanish as I thought thats how Sleepy John played it. There's a Sonny Boy Williamson song recorded a bit earlier it may be based on but I can't recall the title. I do feel SBW was heavily influenced by Sleepy John and Hammie Nixon.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:34:38 AM »
nice choice of a tune, Phil.  I agree with John about pitching the tune higher...  maybe even higher than A.  This is a great tune!

Don't a lot of the SBW sides have some of the same personnel as the SJE sides (Yank and Hammie - maybe RL McCoy, too?).  At times, listening to SBW, I'd forget who exactly I was listening to...   love that stuff. 

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:30 AM »
Here we go! In for a penny in for a pound, up to Bb.

BTW 1st guitar is 1912 Bruno, 2nd c.1910 Sterling parlour. Not much older than me.......
Little bit of compression & reverb on the vox/gtr1 track.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »
Given the Memphis connection, could this song be about Little Laura Dukes? I'm sure we'll never know.

That was a good tip, repitching the vocal.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:22 AM »
I agree, sounds better at Bb, and I like the guitar pitched there too! I'll also pile on and say great pick on the tune.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
Given the Memphis connection, could this song be about Little Laura Dukes? I'm sure we'll never know.
PP, fwiw in 1964 at the Fairfield Halls Francis Smith asked Estes to give him the background to some of his songs, of Little Laura he explained she was a very young girl named Laura Duberry and the wife of a man who ran a whiskey house in the dry county of Madison. (Blues Unlimited 18, Jan 1965 p.5)

Make of it what you will. ;D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:16:51 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »
Really nice Phil, great groove with the guitar, and really good vocals.

Mike

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:28 AM »
Bunker Hill: thanks for the enlightenment. We can always rely on you! Thinking about it, "Duberry" and "Dukes" aren't that far apart...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:58:37 AM »
Bunker Hill: thanks for the enlightenment. We can always rely on you! Thinking about it, "Duberry" and "Dukes" aren't that far apart...
The same thought came to me as I typed it but didn't want to wander into my own world of speculation.

Elsewhere in a Robert Nighthawk discussion I reproduced part of Robert Springer's interview with her. I'll dig out that issue of Blues Unlimited and see if she had anything to say about Estes!

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »
Little Laura Dukes discography now online !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:14:44 PM by Stefan Wirz »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal