collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Take a butcher knife, cut off your head, send me a telegram that your body's dead. If you want me to love you that's what you've got to do - Tampa Red, If You Want Me To Love You

Author Topic: More RJ Stuff...  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline CF

Re: More RJ Stuff...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Hey, thx Stuart!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
They note that two men who knew Johnson, Robert Lockwood and David Edwards, both failed to identify Johnson in the photo
Did they actually show it to Robert Lockwood? (died in 2006). The photo was "discovered" in 2008.

A third would be extraordinarily valuable
I guess Mack McCormick, who has the real McCoy, is sitting on a fortune. If it ever comes out of the mexican vault.

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
They note that two men who knew Johnson, Robert Lockwood and David Edwards, both failed to identify Johnson in the photo
Did they actually show it to Robert Lockwood? (died in 2006). The photo was "discovered" in 2008.

Here's the relevant part of the Vanity Fair article:

"Schein wasn?t having any better luck. In May 2006, he learned that two veteran Delta bluesmen, David ?Honeyboy? Edwards and Robert Lockwood Jr., were playing at B. B. King?s Blues Club in Times Square. For a guy trying to establish the bona fides of a Robert Johnson picture, the show was a real opportunity. In his memoir, The World Don?t Owe Me Nothing, Edwards writes about witnessing a clearly ill Johnson trying to play at what would be his last show, and later, seeing him suffer greatly from what he asserts were the effects of poisoned whiskey. Lockwood, meanwhile, had learned how to play guitar from Johnson during the years that the itinerant artist lived on and off with Lockwood and his mother in Helena, Arkansas. But when Edwards?s manager allowed Schein to show his picture to the musicians?on the condition that he not prompt them with Johnson?s and Shine?s names?neither identified the men in the photo. Still, Schein wasn?t ready to give up. The bluesmen hadn?t said it wasn?t Johnson, and there was another man who might be able to help. "

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »

Schein acquired the photo in 2005. In terms of him showing it to Edwards and Lockwood, here's the relevant part of the Vanity Fair article:

"Schein wasn?t having any better luck. In May 2006, he learned that two veteran Delta bluesmen, David ?Honeyboy? Edwards and Robert Lockwood Jr., were playing at B. B. King?s Blues Club in Times Square. For a guy trying to establish the bona fides of a Robert Johnson picture, the show was a real opportunity. In his memoir, The World Don?t Owe Me Nothing, Edwards writes about witnessing a clearly ill Johnson trying to play at what would be his last show, and later, seeing him suffer greatly from what he asserts were the effects of poisoned whiskey. Lockwood, meanwhile, had learned how to play guitar from Johnson during the years that the itinerant artist lived on and off with Lockwood and his mother in Helena, Arkansas. But when Edwards?s manager allowed Schein to show his picture to the musicians?on the condition that he not prompt them with Johnson?s and Shine?s names?neither identified the men in the photo. Still, Schein wasn?t ready to give up. The bluesmen hadn?t said it wasn?t Johnson, and there was another man who might be able to help. "
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:34:25 PM by Lastfirstface »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
Excuse my earlier comment. The article came out in 2008. Schein "found" the photo in 2005.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline harriet

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:54 AM »
That picture needs to have a deep conversation with the "Long Island Medium".  Over a bagel.  No disrespect to the bagel intended. 

Forgive me!!!
Harriet

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
No need to beg for forgiveness, Harriet. I think we should change the subject title to "The Easiest Person To Fool Is Yourself," one of Richard Feynman's favorite sayings.

Offline harriet

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
Thanks Stuart :)

Offline oddenda

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »
I STILL think it looks like B.B. King and Willie Nix... or none of the above!!

pbl

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 05:14:39 AM »
Money talks - It IS RJ OK!!!!!!!
Don't care if it's been forensically dismissed, if Trump can get elected, this can be RJ.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Hey Phil - its 2017.

If theu believe it, it can be true for them.  And their opinion is equally valid (and worthy of equal respect) to everyone else's, regardless of whether its right or not...

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »
Yes, yes, yes. What do the experts know?

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal