collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We were all committed in one way or another. How many demonstrations did we do to get Pete Seeger on TV? It was all part of the view that America should change. We didn’t sing On Top of Old Smokey because it was a great song, we sang it because we wanted change - Sam Charters, http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/more-than-just-folk-a-fond-look-back-at-early-60s-new-york-from-those-who-were-there/2013/12/19/db5eae50-6356-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html

Author Topic: Kokomo Arnold  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Kokomo Arnold
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:49:52 AM »

[quote author=MTJ3 link=topic=10289.msg90882#msg90882 date=142199498

As someone mentioned, Sam Mitchell recorded a lovely (though much toned down) version of "Paddlin' Madeline Blues."  I have not heard Roger Hubbard's "Busy Bootin'" (for my money, some of Arnold's most accessible playing if one is interested in trying ones hand--pun intended, sorry), but would like to if it's available.  I can't think of anyone else who has recorded any of Arnold's songs or in his style.
[/quote]

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1372.msg9978#msg9978

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »

I STILL am blown away by what J.B. Long said, that BBF's recording of "Step It Up & Go" sold over 500,000 copies and was a true cross-over. Not bad for a Black artist in 1940-41, I'd say! Orange County's Jamie Alston did not get the song from Fuller who lived close by in Durham, but picked it up from a White string band cover! Doc Watson got it from therecord, though.

pbl

No doubt it was a good seller, but half a million must have been a huge exaggeration.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Gil -

Nope. J. B. Long was a solid and honest business man all his life and did not exaggerate - he was amazed, too! Long was also receiving royalties as co-composer on many Fuller records. And don't jump to the usual knee-jerk conclusions - he actually wrote or re-wrote many of BBF's tunes, and he came up with the idea for "Step..." as a similar piece to "Bottle Up & Go" that might be a hit. It was a major cross-over one and a remarkable sales figure for a Black artist in 1940. Read Bruce Bastin's excellent book RED RIVER BLUES, or CRYING FOR THE CAROLINES for discussion of this number. EVERY musician of a certain age that I met in the SE in the 70s knew that song... it was as impossible to avoid as "John Henry"!

pbl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:08:20 PM by oddenda »

Offline roscoesmusic

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »
i read he might have been married to memphis minnie. she put 99 stitches up his yas yas yas

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
Al -

You left out Blind Boy Fuller as one denigrated by us White folks back in more recent times and who was a cross-over seller back in his day! He sold "too many" records and was therefor considered suspect by the collectors who valued the rare over the successful! A warped state of affairs that still haunts us,

Peter B.
Only an idiot would denigrate Blind Boy Fuller in my opinion. There is a lot of great stuff from very rare artists like Gene Campbell, King Solomon Hill etc. but Fuller recorded many songs I would call great. I still remember the first time I heard an album of his tunes and my thoughts at the time was....... Hallelujah how have I missed out on this guy for so long. In fact the first time I even heard the name was in the Ralph Macchio move, "Crossroads" ( a movie I loved with a passion btw ). He is one of my all time favourites.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Tags: Kokomo Arnold 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal