collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Good God, why doesn't that man yodel and be done with it? - A woman in the audience commenting on Peetie Wheatstraw's signature "ooh, well well", recounted by Teddy Darby, quoted in Paul Garon's The Devil's Son-In-Law

Author Topic: Cecil Barfield  (Read 12248 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Cecil Barfield
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »
Here's "Sugar Coated Love" with permission from Peter:

Sugar Coated Love

-Jeff

Thanks for that, Jeff and Peter. Great to hear this. Cecil B. sure was a unique player (and singer!). His Lucy Mae Blues and Love Blues on the George Mitchell Collection V1-45 are superb.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:02:54 AM by uncle bud »

Offline oddenda

Re: Cecil Barfield
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »
Dear Folks -

Cecil was quite unique in many ways. While attempts were made to get him to attend various concerts, et al, he just would not leave his place (in Plains, GA back then). And he had his phobia about photos, even though he'd allow you to take them(!) - I have some stunners of him back with my stuff, and Axel Kustner located him nearer his latter days and took some shots as well. When I met him, he was living with his wife in a small cabin, possibly a former slave quarter house, in Jimmy Carter's home town. The old saw about leading a horse to water applies here. Hope all enjoy his version of Lazy Lester's Excello hit... gives one a small idea of its spread!

yrs,
     Peter B.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal