collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you lose your money, learn to lose - Furry Lewis, Billy Lyons and Stack O'Lee

Author Topic: Frank Stokes Online Memorial  (Read 1293 times)

Offline mtzionmemorialfund

• Tear This Barrelhouse Down
    • Mt. Zion Memorial Fund
Frank Stokes Online Memorial
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »
One element of grave markers we decided to test is the attachment of QR codes and online memorials.  The headstone itself has a QR code embedded in the stone, which can be scanned with smartphones.  It opens into a website containing text, images, and other digital items. 

In June, we straightened the leaning marker of Furry Lewis and placed a marker for Frank Stokes in the abandoned Hollywood Cemetery, which contains a QR code and an online memorial.  Since so many folks on this forum have discussed his music, I would like to solicit opinions and discussion on his career and repertoire.  I wrote a brief biography of Stokes that compiles most of the historical information on his life and comments on his recordings, but it does not go into great detail about his sessions and songs.  I invite interested individuals to give it a look and offer any thoughts on the content of the page, including significant omissions, needed additions, and multimedia elements that I may be unaware of.

Considering that past markers have been erected containing the elements and text desired by a select few--and the stone itself does contain such permanent engravings--I would like for the online memorial and future grave markers, including that for Bo Carter, to reflect and contain the contributions of the very people who may one day visit and pay their respects to these artists--the folks who discuss and examine the intricacies of their recorded legacies.   I very much appreciate your help in this collective endeavor.

Thank you,

The MZMF Memorial page
http://www.mtzionmemorialfund.org/p/frank-stokes.html

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:09:10 PM by mtzionmemorialfund »
T. DeWayne Moore
Executive Director, Mt. Zion Memorial Fund

Offline jpeters609

Re: Frank Stokes Online Memorial
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
That is an excellent -- and thorough -- piece of writing. Thanks for sharing. I very much enjoyed reading it.

I have one question. Concerning footnote #12, you indicate that for Will Batts, "His 1952 session with Big Walter Horton on the harmonica ended up being his last time in the studio." I think you mean Jack Kelly in this instance and not Will Batts. In 1952, Jack Kelly recorded a long-lost session for Sun with Walter Horton which was meant to be the very first Sun release. Unfortunately, it was not issued, though a fragment of one of the songs was later recovered from an acetate. The songs were "Selling My Whiskey" aka ''Sellin' My Stuff (Ain't Had A Drink)'' and ''Wanderin' Woman (Blues In My Condition)". Details can be found here:  http://www.706unionavenue.nl/70661171

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:45:19 AM by jpeters609 »
Jeff

Offline mtzionmemorialfund

• Tear This Barrelhouse Down
    • Mt. Zion Memorial Fund
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
That is an excellent -- and thorough -- piece of writing. Thanks for sharing. I very much enjoyed reading it.

Thanks. Someone else agreed with you and printed it up. Since we found the QR code no longer attached to the marker, we re-attached it and added an updated cache of Stokes digital memorabilia.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:28:48 AM by mtzionmemorialfund »
T. DeWayne Moore
Executive Director, Mt. Zion Memorial Fund

Offline jostber

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
Wonderful stuff, thanks for doing this for a great blues musician. Loved that article in Blues & Rhythm as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal