collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail - Anon., A skilled Weenie, suffering through yet another 12 bar blues

Author Topic: Speckled Red Lyrics  (Read 115 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Speckled Red Lyrics
« on: March 09, 2024, 03:27:02 PM »
The Dirty Dozen No. 1

Speckled Red – Vocals, Piano

Memphis, Tennessee
September 22, 1929

Piano in F

INTRO SOLO

Now, I want all you women folks to fall in line, shake your shimmy like I’m shaking mine
You shake your shimmy and you shake it fast, you can’t shake your shimmy, shake your yas, yas, yas
Now, you’s a dirty mistreater, robber and a cheater, slip me in the dozen, your pappy and your cousin
Your mama do the Lawdy-Lawd

SOLO

Yonder go your mama goin’ out ‘cross the field, running out and shaking like an automobile
I hollered at your mama and I told her to wait, she slipped away from me like a Cadillac Eight
Now, she’s a running mistreater, robber and a cheater, pappy is her cousin, slip me in the dozen

SOLO

I like your mama and like your sister too, I did like your daddy, but your daddy wouldn’t do
Met your daddy on the corner the other day, you know by that that he was funny that way
So now, he’s a funny mistreater, robber and a cheater, slip me in the dozen, your pappa is your cousin

SOLO

God made him an elephant and he made him stout, wasn’t satisfied ‘til he made him a snout
Made his snout just as long as a rail, he wasn’t satisfied until he made him a tail
He made his tail just to fan the fly, he wasn’t satisfied until he made him some eye
He made his eyes just to look over the grass, wasn’t satisfied ‘til he made his yas, yas, yas
Made his yas, yas, yas, and didn’t get it fixed, wasn’t satisfied until it made him sick
It made him sick, Lord, it made him well, you know by that, that the elephant caught hell
Now, he’s a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater, slip me in the dozen, your pappa is your cousin

OUTRO
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 02:24:37 PM by Blues Vintage »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Speckled Red Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »
Hi Blues Vintage,
In the long lyric break that starts the last time through the form, you missed one "just", I think.

He made his eyes JUST to look over the grass

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Speckled Red Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 02:29:59 PM »
Thanks, John. Fixed.

I caught two myself also,

4.3 "fly" instead of "flies"
4.6  there's a double "that"   "you know by that, that the elephant caught hell"

Tags: Speckled Red 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal