collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ask that pawn shop man, "What's them three balls doin' hangin' on that wall?" (He) said, "It's two to one daddy, you don't get your things back out of here at all" - Blind Boy Fuller, Three Ball Blues

Author Topic: 32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)  (Read 733 times)

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
I was waiting till i had something really good to post here. I still don't think i have it but i thought i could wait forever to perfect something or just give it a try. So here it is, a cover of a classic Robert Johnson song.

Offline Rob Hutten

• Rob's home page
Re: 32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:06 AM »
Hey, perfection is over-rated. This is excellent, man.

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
Nice playing there DanJM! May I ask what made you do a ragtime version?
 Yogi

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Thanks Yogi. Its weird, this is the first delta blues song i felt in love with years ago, and what i initially liked about it was the steady rhythm of the monotonous bass. So i learned to play it that way. Later on as i began to learn more about other country blues styles i thought it would be fun just to mess around whit the song using alternating bass. Then i come up whit that little solo in the middle and because i felt good to be able to do my own version of the song i kept playing it this way.

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
It is nice to have one's own version. I look forward to your next post here on the back porch and I hope very much for an eerie delta version of Rag Mama!
 Yogi

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
It is nice to have one's own version. I look forward to your next post here on the back porch and I hope very much for an eerie delta version of Rag Mama!
 Yogi

Thanks, ill sure post more. I do play rag mama rag, but in the style of The wiyos. Here a badly recorded version: https://soundcloud.com/pulqueyblues/rag-mama-rag-cover-a-blind-boy

I've never thought of doing a delta version but ill sure give it a try.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:46:31 AM »
Yeah cool job, yes it's one of the first blues I ever heard and for years thought of it as delta blues but now I think the mention of RAG is closer to the truth there is a jazzy touch to the tune and realizing that Robert learned so mush from records I think acoustic big city blues is actually what the style is for this particular great tune. Being done on an electric hasn't diminished the song one bit. Thanks for posting.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal