collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I done seen better days, but I'm putting up with these - Richard Rabbit Brown, James Alley Blues

Author Topic: Homemade American Music - 40-minute streaming film  (Read 2136 times)

Offline outfidel

Homemade American Music - 40-minute streaming film
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
Homemade American Music

"A history of rural southeastern traditional American music, as told and played by Mike Seeger and Alice Gerrard. Mike and Alice recount their own involvment with this music, and briefly trace its history as we meet their mentors: the late Tommy Jarrell, Lily May Ledford, Roscoe Holcomb and Elizabeth Cotten."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:58:49 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: Homemade American Music - streaming video
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:18:29 PM »
Wonderful!
Thanks, Gary
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Homemade American Music - 40-minute streaming film
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »
There is almost no sight or sound more beautiful than Elizabeth Cotton. Lots of people can sound like Blake or Robert Johnson but nobody I've ever heard gets the dark, nuanced, plaintive sound and stately pacing that she did. She's as great as anybody who ever picked up a guitar imho.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Re: Homemade American Music - 40-minute streaming film
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:44:55 AM »
There is almost no sight or sound more beautiful than Elizabeth Cotton. Lots of people can sound like Blake or Robert Johnson but nobody I've ever heard gets the dark, nuanced, plaintive sound and stately pacing that she did. She's as great as anybody who ever picked up a guitar imho.

+1 Libba is the Queen...Her music is deciptively simple to learn but nigh on impossible to get the same feel that she was capable of.  Some of that I'm sure is attributable to her playing style...but most of it comes from her heart and decades of playing and refining her craft.

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal