collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Woman I do, woman, God knows I do. I do more for you than any poor man would do - Robert Wilkins, I Do Blues

Author Topic: Bo Weavil Jackson  (Read 1690 times)

HardLuckChild

Bo Weavil Jackson
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:55:38 PM »
I just noticed that Bo Weavil Jackson is coming up on Weenie Juke. Is everyone familiar with him? I found out about him via Allmusic.com about two years ago, and then bought the Document disc with his complete recordings (thirteen songs, I think). The guy is an absolutely incredible guitar player. I'm not a musician, and I know many of you guys are. To me, it sounds like Jackson's guitar playing is just as dazzling as Robert Johnson's. I really enjoy the cracks, pops, and hisses of 20s blues records; it adds something extra mystical and frightening to the songs. However, the Jackson songs have quite a bit of these pops and hisses; maybe too much. I'm pretty sure Jackson recorded for Paramount, so that'd certainly explain things. The guy's guitar techniques is what I'd call spider-like; it sounds like there's a giant spider crawling quickly across a piano, but in reality, there is one man playing an acoustic guitar! I know there is a Lyrics section here on WeenieCampbell, but does anyone know of a website with all or most of Jackson's lyrics?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Bo Weavil Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »
Hi Hardluck,

I'm just starting to listen to Bo Weavil. I agree he's tremendous fun, and am surprised he hasn't appeared even that much on the various compilations from Yazoo and others. Really nice, unusual guitar playing, and great singing. I don't think I'd actually heard him until I bought the Paramount Masters. Don't know of any lyric sites.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal