collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hey, hey, hey baby, hey hey. I'll be your man but I ain't gonna be your dog - Big Bill Broonzy, Hey Hey

Author Topic: Oscar "Buddy" Woods  (Read 10266 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Oscar "Buddy" Woods
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 11:44:56 PM »
Alright, found a map with topo lines.-G- Also has the triangle as I imagined it drawn in.

(Hmm, I see that's a power plant, not a sewage treatment facility.-G-)

Actually it was pointed out by Blueswriter over on BBF in a similar discussion. It is in an excellent article on Boogie Woogie piano Here and is accompanied with the quote from the Leadbelly bio.

Looking closely, you can see a dark topo line which indicates slightly higher ground (200 ft.) all around this triangle, except at the western tip of the triangle and a small finger coming in from the northwest. Also, if you follow Fannin east from the intersection with Commons, you'll see that it crosses 4 topo lines in about two blocks (10 ft increments), so clearly moving in that direction one would be climbing out of a "bottom" area rather quickly, and, in fact, Fannin street seems to cross the crest of the hill at that point, about three blocks north of the Court House (on Stefan's map) which is also on the crest, so I think this would be too much a part of "downtown" to have been included in the "legal" red light district, which apparently was meant to keep the, uh, activity away from the downtown area. But Commons, for two blocks north of the intersection, and Fannin, for two blocks west, as well as parts of Caddo even to the east of Commons for a block, are all in the lowest piece of ground (below 180 ft.) and there is even a strip of slightly higher ground between the bottom and the open marsh area to the north, which to a large extent is at the same elevation as the bottom. Yeah, it musta been muddy.

Stefan, the designation you found is from the 1980s and seems to be more of a tourist area designation than an actual historical one. From the Google satellite map there doesn't appear to be much left for tourists to see in the triangle designated by the Leadbelly bio, altho' I did find this recent pic of some "shotgun shacks" still left on Fannin.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:58:50 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 04:40:27 AM »
Quote from: me
The Leadbelly bio p. 30 says St. Paul's Bottoms was a triangle bordered by Fannin Street, Common Street and the Texas & Pacific railroad tracks.

That works for me Wax. I agree the Historic Places designation may well have been moved south. Gentrification perhaps?

More info on elevations:
From http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/caddo/history/redriver.txt
IN SHREVEPORT
Elevation of the river gauge 131 feet above the sea level.
Elevation in Post Office yard is 199.8 feet,
Flood stage of Red River is 39 feet.

But there are various figures for this, search for "Red River" "elevation" & Shreveport. Some interesting info on the effects of various flood heights on the city: http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=shv&gage=svpl1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:54:23 AM by Rivers »

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
the Ever Scanning Bunker Hill has provided scans from the 1978 Paul Oliver notes to Flyright FLY LP 260 "Jerry's Saloon Blues" about the coming about of the LoC recordings of Oscar Woods et al.. I've made a pdf-file out of those scans that can be downloaded either from the Oscar Woods or from the Flyright Records discography or from here.
Stefan

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:29:05 AM by Stefan Wirz »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »
That was an interesting read. Lots of good quotes in there too.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
Excellent, thanks Stefan and BH, we will get to that drink one day  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »
the Ever Scanning Bunker Hill
Years ago someone wrote to a magazine suggesting I was stuck in a time warp! I much prefer being stuck "ever scanning".  ;)

Keep up the good work.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
Years ago someone wrote to a magazine suggesting I was stuck in a time warp!

Well... what's wrong with that?  (Unless the magazine was something like "Current Trends In Silicon Chip Design"   :D)

hotdonuts

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Just a quick one for now.  Here's an enlarged photo of Shreveport's St. Paul's Bottoms taken from a 1926 postcard.  Perspective is looking Southwest.  In the bottom left corner, is First Methodist Church at the corner of Sprague Street and Common Street.  The street running from the bottom middle to top left is Travis Street.  The street running from the bottom right to the middle is Fannin Street.  I'll add more information to this conversation later.  Shreveport is my hometown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotdonuts/2456218142/

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
Welcome hotdonuts!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
Hotdonuts, thanks and some of the other pics on your site are interesting as well  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal