collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't know I loved her 'til they eased her down - Charlie Patton, Circle Around The Moon

Author Topic: My Newest Toy: "Angelina" 12 (built by Todd's apprentice)  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

My Newest Toy: "Angelina" 12 (built by Todd's apprentice)
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »

Still getting used to this thing... Had it about three months so far. Built by Todd Cambio's apprentice. Just wanted to let folks hear it and get some feedback. It compared quite favorably to a Dell Arte I had my hands on.  In fact I might even say it kicked the Dell Arte's arse...  I've never played a Fraulini built by Todd, so I don't know how the sound would compare. It's definitely a whole lot harder to play than a 6 string, but I'm lovin' it. I didn't put much effort into this vid. I'll post more when I start to really settle in with it.
Also wondering about string gauges for anyone who has one of these tuned down to B or C (particularly those that play slide and standard rags and such on the same instrument).  I've been wanting to up the gauge on the first course for playing slide, but I already have a hard enough time bending strings on this thing...  When I'm playing, it sounds like the bass is overpowering the high strings.  The vid sounds more balanced to me.  Maybe I should just leave it alone. 
Right now it's strung with Todd's standard set:
course 1: .013/.013
course 2: .017/.017
course 3: .026/.026
course 4: .017/.038
course 5: .022/.048
course 6: .026/.066

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: My Newest Toy: "Angelina" 12 (built by Todd's apprentice)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48:39 PM »
Hi Mike,
Congratulations!  I know you've been eagerly anticipating thiis for some time.  Unfortunately I can't watch the video so I'll just have to see you play it in person some time.  I'll defer to knowlegeable 12-string players for string gauge information.  Have fun with it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks, John!  Yeah, I think I've been babbling about getting this guitar for over a year now...  It was worth the wait.   :D

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:40:22 AM »
Mike

Whilst not one of John's "experts", I can say that those string gauges are fine by me. I tune my Angelina normally to B. For open tunings Bb(Vasterpol) or Eb (Spanish).

One thing that I do know is that my guitar is one of those that doesn't sound best to the player (still sounds ok), you've got to be out front to hear it at its best. This sometimes leads me to play too hard and this messes with the tone. I've had my Fraulini almost 3 years and would not be without it.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
Sounds great, Mike. Big and loud. Congratulations.

The gauges you're using are what I have on my 12-string (though I too will not admit to being expert in any way). You might want to check out this thread for more discussion: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=60&topic=398.0

Also, there's some information on Weeniepedia in the McTell keys page: http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blind_Willie_McTell_Guitar_Keys_and_Positions

One option is to have an octave 3rd course (.012).

Also check out the 12 string guitar tag (I modified yours below). Lots o' threads.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:42:28 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
thanks, phil.  i think you're right about needing to be in front of these guitars to really appreciate them.  guess i just have to get used to how it sounds when i'm playing it.  glad it's not just my playing (or my guitar).
UB- yeah, i almost added this to the string gauge thread, but just decided to start fresh for whatever reason.  i'd be fine with moving this there though. 
i've read a good deal of the old 12 string threads.  lots of great information.
my primary concern has been learning the string gauge and tuning limitations for this guitar in particular. todd just confirmed that geremia uses this same set (with .014s on the 1st course) and tunes up to C standard (tunes down for open tunings).  i'm wondering what gauges i'll need to tune up to C vastapol...  i should learn how to use those string tension calculator thingies...  in the meantime i'll probably just throw a capo on the first fret.   :)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Sounds pretty good in the vid, Mike..nice guitar.  I guess you can judge if the strings are 'right' by playing tuned down until the strings buzz and slack out..you'll sort of know it when you get there.  Then go a bit heavier til it suits.
I've always used lights on my old Stella, but am not too pleased tuned at A or B (for E's). I've always been concerned about distorting the old box too much.   I may try your recommended set above.
On a similar note, I played Pat Conte's Stella jumbo at Retrofret this past Sat and it's strung up with what looks like piano wire, and is likely bass guitar strings on the low end...huuuge strings, heck, even the B's are wound!  :o   But what a sound..like beating an empty dumpster with a rubber mallet.

Good luck with your 12-string adventure and I'll be looking forward to future clips..Tom

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
Hey Mike, you might want to check with Todd to be sure, but seems like I recall that Paul Geremia's 12 was built to 27" scale. I know on my 26 1/2" scale I have to tune up to C# in standard or the bass is a little flabby with .066.

Joe

Offline Nicolas Dussart

• Salut les mecs !
    • some concerts photos
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
Great video and nice guitar !
I use a set of 14-65 strings tuned to C in standard on my Stella Repro, works fine for me.
I'm amazed that you can use a capo with such thick strings. It doesn't work for me, because the capo can't fret properly the octave string
FYI, here is a paper written by Ralph Bown, the builder of my guitar, with his recommended gauges.

Offline pete12string

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Nice guitar Mike and sounds great!  I have an Angelina 12 string also.  I still have the original strings on the guitar as when I received it (Oct '09).  I ordered a replacement set recently from Todd (La Bella) and here are the gauges:
course 1: .013/.013
course 2: .017/.017
course 3: .012/.026
course 4: .017/.038
course 5: .020/.048
course 6: .026/.066
A little different than what you have (course 3 and course 5).  I tune down to B (for standard) and use open E for Spanish and B for Vestapol and I find that the current setup works well for me. 

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »

Just some sloppy generic raggy stuff...  The more I record this guitar, the more I realize that Phil was right.  You gotta be up front to fully appreciate the sound of this guitar. 
Also, I realized that the string gauges I posted are not accurate.  I just copied that from Todd's website, but I definitely have an octave 3rd course...  So I've probably got the same gauges Pete12string listed.

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Just posting this for fun and so I remember to keep working on this tune.  Got inspired by someone else's youtube cover last night.  Super sloppy, I know...  I was quite drunk.  Forgot to secure the tripod...

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:30:28 AM »
I closed my eyes listening to you messin with the rags and old jumpy black and white silent movie footage started playing in my head. The images ranged from barroom brawl to and out of control locamotive just about to jump the tracks.
...and the inovative camera work on the poor howard piece works surprizingly well with the music and mood.
Mike, Me thinks you, your skills, your recless abandon and that guitar are gonna go far together.
Gary
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanks, Gary.  Yer too kind.  I ain't 'spectin' to go too far...  Playin' for beer is good enough for now.

Offline Fotusky

• Howdy!
    • Frank Fotusky
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
Mike- Those were great!! Looking forward to more.- Frank
Frank Fotusky
39 Hillis St.
Portland ME 04103
732-551-0328

www.frankfotusky.com
www.youtube.com/snappyturtle
www.facebook.com/frankfotusky

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal