collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Let me be your little dog till your big hound comes - Barbeque Bob Hicks, Untitled

Author Topic: Images of African American Banjo Players  (Read 2261 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Images of African American Banjo Players
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »
Banjo scholar Bob Winans has some pretty amazing PowerPoint presentations in PDF format that survey images of black banjo players and the banjo in sheet music covers at https://sites.google.com/a/wildblue.net/winansbanjo/banjo-ephemera--powerpoint-programs

The black banjo presentation includes paintings, engravings and illustrations from late 18th century through the 19th, and photographs from the late 19th and 20th century. It's a real treat. The sheet music covers in the other slideshow are pretty astonishing, to say the least.

Not exactly country blues but highly recommended!

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Re: Images of African American Banjo Players
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
I met Bob over thirty years ago.  He came through the area I was living in then recording old time banjo players.  I had been working clearing land and had poison ivy all over my arms and hands and he made a video recording of my banjo playing.  I felt like a real old timer.  I of course, wasn't.  Later on, he moved within an hour of where I lived and invited me to some picking parties at his home.  His minstrel banjo collection was real nice.  Last June, my wife and I played a party for a friend in southern PA and Bob was there.  It was the first I had seen him in twenty years or so.  He is retired and looking good.  We did not get to play any music. 

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Re: Images of African American Banjo Players
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:33:43 AM »
Fantastic slideshows, thanks.

Tags: banjo 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal