collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got her a job, she got to be a crank, she's taken all her money and put it in the bank - Papa Charlie Jackson, "You put it in, I'll take it out"

Author Topic: Bo Carter's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 50111 times)

Offline Rockdale

Bo Carter Vol. 2 by John Miller?
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »
I own John Miller's Bo Carter video and plan to buy it again when the DVD is released. I love this lesson and I was wondering if a Volume 2 video is at all a possibility.
  The song "Beans" is one of my favorite songs by Carter and I think would make an excellent choice as one of the songs covered. Does anyone know how to play this? I've never messed with it but it sounds like he may be playing out of an A position.
   Any information on the song or the video will be appreciated.

thanks,
      Rockdale

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Bo Carter Vol. 2 by John Miller?
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2005, 08:27:26 AM »
Hi Rockdale,

Beans is played out of C position, capoed up or tuned high (not sure where my guitar is tuned right now so can't say for sure how many frets but it's one or two). A fun tune. The instrumental part starts with a C chord that includes the fretted high G on the 1st string. That note walks up to an G# then A as part of a long A chord, then to A7, then D7 G7 C and that semi-chromatic Bo Carter-y riff in the treble. G-F#-F-E-D-B-A-G#-G. The 2nd time through he stays on the G7. Then he does an extended bit over a thumping bass that starts on A but may go to an E as well. Not sure. The melody over it is a slide from the D note on the 2nd string to the E note, then A on the 1st string, G, back to E on the 2nd string, D# - D - C - then A on the 3rd string, C - A again. Then into an F riff: F on the 6th string, open 5th, C on the 5th, D# on the 4th, back and forth between those last two four times. Then back to the first instrumental bit starting on the C chord.

The verses are pretty straight I VI II V I stuff. C, walk down to A7, D7, G7, C. There's the old C C7 F Ab7 thing in there.

If you're going to Port Townsend I can show you what I know of it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 08:28:46 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rockdale

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2005, 10:03:07 AM »
Hey, thanks a lot for the info on the song. It saved me the trouble of figuring most of it out myself. It seems obvious now that that's how you play it but you know what they say:
"Hindsight is always 20/20" right?

I've read and heard a lot about Port Townsend on here and I wish I was going but I don't think I'll make it this year. I'm all the way down in Arkansas. Perhaps next year it'll be possible. I'd love to play guitar with all of you guys. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Rockdale

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2005, 11:43:23 AM »
Hey Rock:

Yes, it's a whole lotta fun. A little hard on the brain cells (too little sleep, too much Hornitos, CR) but the music is not to be missed. Relatively cheap too.

Definately make plans for next year.

Boyah!
Alex

Yves

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2005, 09:33:13 PM »
I am about to finalize to figure out the Carter's tunings, keys & capo for the titles recorded by Bo Carter

Does somebody knows if these titles - originally unissued - are available somewhere ?
- The yellow coon has no race
- Leads gone bad
- Best piece of furniture
- Squeeze your orange
- Total ole shaker

These are the titles mentioned in GD book that I do not have

Thanx for help

Yves

Offline thumbstyle

Let's Get Drunk Again - Bo Carter
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 12:19:17 AM »
Hey All,

I've been spending some time with Let's Get Drunk Again, and I have it pretty well fleshed out, but am still trying to decide what tuning Bo used.

First of all, he's playing in the key of D, but pitched about a half step low.

The song sits pretty well in standard tuning, at least until the break where he's playing up the neck to a B on the high E string, but still playing a G in the bass. So this leads me to think it's in his G tuning (DGDGBE - but of course all pitched a half step below this). However, during the signature lick in the turnaround (which also gets up to B on the high E string), it sounds like he's playing an open A in the bass, which again points to standard tuning. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks a lot,
Dave

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Let's Get Drunk Again - Bo Carter
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »
Bo played this in std tuning, but in C position.  Tune to his pitch or slap a capo on the 1st fret and it'll probably fall into place for you pretty quickly.

Boh-boh-dee-doh, buh-dun-dee-doh.

Offline thumbstyle

Re: Let's Get Drunk Again - Bo Carter
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2006, 10:54:04 AM »
(smacking head...) That's it! Thank ye, Frankie.

Doh-doh-doh!

Offline Michael Kuehn

Twist It, Babe - Bo Carter
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
I've worked out the tab for "Twist It, Babe," but have a question on how he might be fingering that signature lick. I've tabbed it, and am trying to play it, out of a standard D position, with the pinky on the 5th fret, alternating between the 1st string, 5th fret and the 2nd string, 3rd fret. Then I move my index finger to the 1st string, 1st fret for two chokes, then hit 2nd string, 3rd fret. But I have an alternate fingering. This was prompted because it sounds like his alternating bass is hitting the open 6th string then getting both the 3rd string, 4th fret and the 2nd string, 3rd fret (he may also be getting the open 4th string in his brush). This doesn't work with my first fingering approach.

For this one, I finger a modified E7 - index finger on 2nd string, 3rd fret; middle finger on 3rd string, 4th fret; ring finger on 1st string, 5th fret; then pinky used to choke the 2nd string, 6th fret. This seems more natural to me, and I get a better choke out of that 2nd string since it's not next to the nut (capo), but I was wondering if anyone out there plays this tune and what sort of fingering you've worked out.

If anyone wants the tab, I have it in Tabledit, I will post a link or email it.

I have the tune in drop D, capo on the 3rd fret.

Thanks.

Mike

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Twist It, Babe - Bo Carter
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »
Hi Mike,
Your second solution hits the jackpot, I think.  The D6 position Bo employed to play the lick, 0-0-0-4-3-5 (with the bent 6th fret of the second string added as necessary), was also used to great advantage by Lonnie Johnson throughout the course of his career.  Lonnie's additional wrinkle was to use the very same position with a G note in the bass, where it served as a Gadd9.  Good hearing and instrumental detective work on your part!
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
Thanks, John,
I knew you'd be the "go-to" guy on this topic. I appreciate the response.

Mike

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 12:10:27 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'd love to see the tab, please send it when you can...

RJ

alonysios

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »
Hello Mike, I noticed your topic about the tab for Bo Carter and was wandering if I could check it out.. Thanks for any help, Chad

Offline reuellis

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
hi mike!  another one here who's interested in your tab!  thanks!

Offline Dazza

Bo Carter, Honey.
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:35 AM »
Hi. This is my first post. Please forgive me if I make a mistake. I am hoping that someone can give me some tips about the song "Honey" by Bo Carter. Tuning, key, chords, tab? Started trying to play country blues a few years ago. Love John Hurt. Started with Stefan Grossman's "The Country Blues Guitar' where I found Bo Carter's "All Around Man." Now I can't live without Bo's songs.
Have John Miller's John Hurt lessons, volumes 1 and 2. Fantastic. Have Mr Miller's Bo Carter lesson too. Now working through "My Baby." What a fantastic song! I hope Mr Miller does a second Bo Carter volume.
I was also hoping that someone could explain what Bo means when he sings "I happen to have it in my bag."  Appreciate any help. Dazza.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal