collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect, it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement... - Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings, Translated by Burton Watson (New York: Columbia University Press, 1964)

Author Topic: Waltzes played by CB artists?  (Read 21483 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Waltzes played by CB artists?
« on: May 18, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi all

JohnM's recent post on another thread, discussing "Mama's Angel Child", a peculiar waltz by Sweet Papa Stovepipe got me thinking about waltzes in general, played by CB artists. Surprisingly seldom you come across one, perhaps because the record companies weren't interested in recording them by black artists?

I think many CB artists who were professional entertainers must have known quite a few of them, however. Here's a list I have come up with, mainly by using the search function on Weenie Campbell. If you know a waltz performed by a CB artist, please post, and I'll add it to the list.

I'd also like to hear your opinions, why the recorded waltzes by black artists in the prewar era are so few.

The "Spanish Fandango" or "Spanish Flang Dang" seems to exist in various forms from a waltz to 6/8 to straight 4/4. Here are listed only the waltz and 6/8 ones.

WALTZES PERFORMED BY COUNTRY BLUES & HILLBILLY ARTISTS

"After The Ball Is Over", Sid Hemphill, Field Recordings, Vol. 3: Mississippi (1936-1942) Document

"All In Down And Out Blues", Uncle Dave Macon, Travelin' Down the Road, County Records CCs-CD-115.

"Alma Waltz", Mississippi Mud Steppers,  Violin, Sing The Blues For Me: African-American Fiddlers 1926-1949-CD, Old Hat Records

"American Defense", Son House, A Proper Introduction to Son House: Delta Blues, Proper

"American & Spanish Fandango"R. B. Smith and S. J. Allgood, a banjo duet, Old Time Mountain Banjo, Country Records/Select-O. See also "Spanish Fandango", for other versions of this song.

"Babies In The Mill", Dorsey Dixon, Babies In The Mill, Dorsey Dixon, Hightone CD, B000003OJ6.

"Black Girl/Black Gal", Leadbelly, Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy, Vol. 1, Smithsonian Folkways, among others. See also "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for other versions of this song.

"Black Pine Waltz", harmonica player Gwen Foster, Classic Old Time Music On Victor 1925-1930-CD, BACM - British Archive Of Country Music http://www.juneberry78s.com/otmsampler/otmsampta.html

"Birmingham Jail"
- Leadbelly, Shout On: Leadbelly Legacy, Vol. 3, Smithsonian Folkways
- Darby & Tarlton, Complete Recordings, Bear Family

"Bugle Waltz", Furry Lewis, Take Your Time, Genes CD

"Crazy Waltz" , Jesse  Fuller, (Folk Lore LP 14006), Brother Lowdown, Fantasy

"Daddy and Home", Jimmie Rodgers, Victor ‎? 21757, Shellac, 10", 78 RPM, 1928. Essential Jimmie Rodgers, RCA B000002X3V. See the entry below for Leadbelly's cover.

"Daddy I'm Coming Back to You"Leadbelly (orig. by Jimmie Rodgers as "Daddy and Home", see the entry above), one of the originally unissued ARC recordings, Lead Belly's Legacy, Vol. 3: Early Recordings, Smithsonian Folkways FW02024.

"Dancing With Tears In My Eyes", Leadbelly, Last Sessions, Smithsonian Folkways

"Dear Little Girl", Walter Jacobs and the Carter Brothers (Mississippi Sheiks), Walter Vinson, Complete Recorded Works (1928-1941), Document

"Death Is Only A Dream", Rev. Edward W. Clayborn, Blind Willie Johnson and the Guitar Evangelists, JSP

"Down Home Waltz", Jesse  Fuller (Lake CD 5024), The Lone Cat Sings and Plays Jazz, Folk Songs, Spirituals and Blues, Obc

"Down in the Willow Garden", Charlie Monroe, I'm Old Kentucky Bound, Bear Family, BCD-16808-CD

"Du, Du Liegst Mir Im Herzen"Howard Armstrong & Ted Bogan,  Howard Armstrong - Louie Bluie, Arhoolie 1095 LP

"Dying Ranger", Dock Boggs, His Folkways Years, 1963-1968, Smithsonian Folkways SFW40108_210

"Evening Chimes Waltz", Herve Duerson, Barrelhouse Piano Blues and Stomps (1929 - 1933)-CD, Document

"Farewell Waltz", Mississippi Mud Steppers,  Mississippi String Bands and Associates (1928-1931): Complete Recorded Works, Document

"Farther Along", Mississippi John Hurt, Worried Blues, Rounder

"Go Wash in the Beautiful Stream", Reverend Moses Mason,
Take Me to the Water: Immersion Baptism In Vintage Music and Photography 1890-1950, 2011 Dust-to-Digital; Too Late, Too Late Vol. 2 1897-1935, Document Records.

"God and Man", Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Sonny & Brownie, A&M Records, 1973.

"Graduation March" in 6/8 march or jig time, Elizabeth Cotten, Freight Train And Other North Carolina Folk Songs and Tunes, Smithsonian Folkways

"Great Dream From Heaven", Joseph Spence,  Real Bahamas, Vol. 1-2 -CD, Nonesuch

"Good Night Irene", Leadbelly, Last Sessions, Smithsonian Folkways, also check Midnight Special - Library of Congress Recordings Volume 1, Rounder

"Goodnight Irene", Scott Dunbar, From Lake Mary, Fat Possum, # FP80338

"Guian Valley Waltz", Reese Jarvis and Dick Justice, Brunswick 333; Old Time Music From West Virginia 1927 - 1929, Document, DOCD-8004

"Guitar Waltz", Sam McGee, see "Knoxville Blues"

"He Is My Story", Arizona Dranes, He Is My Story: The Sanctified Soul of Arizona Dranes, Tompkins Square B008DL3YJC

"Happy Meeting In Glory", Joseph Spence, The Complete Folkways Recordings, 1958, Smithsonian Folkways http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/trackdetail.aspx?itemid=9474

"Henry Lee", Dick Justice, Brunswick 367 May 21, 1929; Anthology Of American Folk Music
1952, Volume One: Ballads

"House Of The Rising Sun"
- Clarence Ashley, "Rising Sun Blues", 1933
- Georgia Turner, "Rising Sun Blues", Alan Lomax: Popular Songbook, Rounder SACD 1863
- Leadbelly, Complete Recorded Works, Vol. 3 (1943 - 1944), Document, DOCD-5228

"I Am A Pilgrim", Rev. Gary Davis, Rev. Gary Davis--Live at Gerde's Folk City, February, 1962, Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop

"I Didn't Hear Anybody/(Nobody) Pray", Dixon Bothers, Dixon Brothers 3, Document CD B000056W0S. This song was retitled as "Wreck On The Highway" (see below on the list), after Roy Acuff made a hit recording of the song with that title (resulting in a copyright dispute).

"I Must Be Blind, I Can Not See", Blind Roger Hay, Sinners and Saints, Document DOCD-5106,  http://fakingit.typepad.com/faking_it/2007/02/whats_it_like_t.html

"I Want Someone to Love Me", Tommy Johnson, Times Ain't Like They Used To Be Vol. 8: Early American Rural Music Classic Recordings Of 1920's and 1930's-CD, Yazoo

"I'm Alone Because I Love You", Leadbelly, Last Sessions, Smithsonian Folkways

"I'm Anchored In Love Divine", The Carver Boys, The Music Of Kentucky, Vol. 2
Early American Rural Classics 1927-37, Yazoo 2014

"If It Had Not Been For Jesus", Blind Willie Johnson, Complete Recordings Of Blind Willie Johnson, Legacy / Sony CD

"In A Cool Shady Nook", Sam McGee, Sam Mcgee - 1926 - 1934, Document

"In The Heart of the City That Has No Heart", Emry Arthur, Emry Arthur, I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow V.1, Old Homestead 4190

"In The Pines",
- Bill Monroe, Best Of, Universal Music Group
- Dock Walsh, In The Pines: Tar Heel Folk Songs & Fiddle Tunes: Old-Time Music Of North Carolina 1926-1936, Old Hat Records. See also "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for other versions of this song.

"Jesus Is Tenderly Calling", Elizabeth Cotten, a hymn in 3/4 time, Shake Sugaree, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings - SFW40147 2004

"Jug Band Waltz", The Memphis Jug Band, The Memphis Jug Band Vol. 2 (1928-1929), Document

"Knoxville Blues" (1st part), Sam McGee, Sam Mcgee - 1926-1934, Document. Note: he apparently recorded the waltz part again later on as as "Guitar Waltz" and "Little Texas Waltz".

"Let Me Call You Sweetheart", Furry Lewis, Furry Lewis & Mississippi Joe Callicott ‎? The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions Sony / Blue Horizon CD 88697041792

"Let's Make Up and Be friends Again", Leroy Carr, Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell, Volume 1, JSP

Likes Likker Better Than Me (Brown-Eyed Boy), Woodie Brothers, Woodie Brothers, "Likes Likker Better Than Me" (Victor 23579, 1931; on LostProv1)

"Lightening [sic] Express", Frank Hutchison, Complete Recorded Works 1 (1926-29) Document

"Little Texas Waltz", Sam McGee, see "Knoxville Blues".

"Logan County Blues", Frank Hutchison, 1927, on Worried Blues, Frank Hutchison & Kelly Harrell, JSP. See also "Spanish Fandango", for other versions of this song.

"Lonesome in the Pines", Tarlton & Darby, Tom Darby & Jimmie Tarlton: Atlanta 1927-1929, JSP. See also "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for other versions of this song.

"The Longest Train", J. E. Mainer, in 3/2, When the Sun Goes Down, Vol. 10: East Virginia Blues, Rca. See also "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for other versions of this song.

"Looking This Way", Mississippi John Hurt, Library of Congress Recordings, Vol. 2, Fuel Records

"Lost Love Blues", Dock Boggs, Country Blues: Complete Early Recordings, Revenant Records B000001Z3Y

"Mama's Angel Child", Sweet Papa Stovepipe, The Paramount Masters-CD, JSP

"Miss The Mississippi And You", Jimmie Rodgers, The Ultimate Collection, Platinum

"Mississippi River Waltz", The Memphis Jug Band, The Memphis Jug Band Vol. 2 (1928-1929), Document

"Missouri Waltz", Mance Lipscomb, Texas Songster Volume 2: You Got To Reap What You Sow-CD, Arhoolie

"Morning Glory Waltz", Mississippi Mud Steppers, Mississippi String Bands and Associates (1928-1931): Complete Recorded Works, Document

"Mystery Of The Dunbar's Child", Richard (Rabbit) Brown (1927),
V. A.: The Greatest Songsters (1927-1929), Document DOCD 5003

"New Huntsville Jail", Joe Evans and Arthur McClain, The Two Poor Boys - Joe Evans & Arthur McClain (1927-1931), Document

"Nile of Genago", Lonnie Johnson, Playing with the Strings, Jsp Records

"No Disappointment In Heaven", Dock Boggs, His Folkways Years, 1963-1968, Smithsonian Folkways SFW40108_210

"No.29", Wesley Wallace, a piano boogie in 3/4 time (!),The Paramount Masters, disc A, JSP

"Nobody Cares for Me", Mississippi John Hurt, Worried Blues, Rounder

"Nobody Cares For Me", Rev Gary Davis, Demons and Angels: The Ultimate Collection, Shanachie.

"Oh How I Love Jesus", Joseph Spence, Happy All The Time, Rhino/Elektra 1964

"Old Joe's Barroom", Dock Boggs, His Folkways Years, 1963-1968, Smithsonian Folkways SFW40108_210

"One Cold December Day", Dick Justice, Brunswick 367 May 21, 1929; Old-Time Music from West Virginia, Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order, Document DOCD 8004

"Papa, Build Me A Boat", Dock Boggs, His Folkways Years, 1963-1968, Smithsonian Folkways SFW40108_210

"Paul And Silas In Jail", Washington Phillips, Washington Phillips, Denomination Blues, Agram Blues, AB-2006 -LP

"Penitentiary Blues", Jimmie Davis (probably with Ed Schaffer [as 'Dizzy Head'] and Oscar Woods), Midnight Blues 1929-1933, Acrobat #ACMCD 4220 CD

"Pistol Packin' Papa", Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmie Rodgers, The Singing Brakeman, 6-CD-Box & 60-Page Book, Bear Family BCD15540

"Poor Little Benny", Bela Lam & Family,   OKEH (1918-1935) - 45136 - 1927-07-07; matrix: 81143; ~3 min ,  Various - Times Ain't Like They Used To Be (Early American Rural & Popular Music) ‎(DVD-V)

"Poor Girl's Waltz", Reese Jarvis and Dick Justice, Brunswick 333; Old Time Music From West Virginia 1927 - 1929, Document, DOCD-8004

"President Kennedy", Son House, The Original Delta Blues, Vanguard

"Prairie Lullaby", Jimmie Rodgers, Recordings 1927-1933, Jsp Records
ASIN: B00006IRKY

"Rock All Our Babies To Sleep";
- Riley Puckett, Columbia, 1924
- Jimmie Rodgers, Victor 23721, 1932; Jimmie Rodgers and Country Stars: You and My Old Guitar, Jasmine Records,  B008YASTT2

"Rose Conley", Grayson and Whitter, Grayson & Whitter Vol 1 1927 - 1928, Document DOCD-8054

"Roses While I'm Living", Dock Boggs, His Folkways Years, 1963-1968, Smithsonian Folkways SFW40108_210

"San Antonio (Waltz)", Cartwright Brothers, Originally issued on the 1929 single (Victor V-40147) (78 RPM)
(Note:Also issued on Montgomery Ward M-4294)

"The Sheik Waltz", Mississippi Sheiks, Mississippi Sheiks Vol.1 1930-CD, Document, or When I Take My Vacation in Harlem: Blues Legends Sing Pop-CD, Elijah Wald; also check for a version by Kim & Frank Basile http://www.donegone.net/?p=133

"Sheiks Special",Walter Jacobs and the Carter Brothers (Mississippi Sheiks), Walter Vinson, Complete Recorded Works (1928-1941), Document

"Sinking Of The Titanic", Richard (Rabbit) Brown (1927),
V. A.: The Greatest Songsters (1927-1929), Document DOCD 5003

"Soon My Work Will All Be Done", Rev. Gary Davis, Rev. Gary Davis--Live at Gerde's Folk City, February, 1962, Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop

"Spanish Fandango", or "Spanish Flang Dang";
- Elizabeth Cotten, ?Spanish Flang Dang?, Freight Train and Other North Carolina Folk Songs, Smithsonian Folkways
- Mance Lipscomb ?Spanish Flang Dang? ,Texas Songster Volume 2: You Got To Reap What You Sow-CD, Arhoolie
- Steve James, "Spanish Fandango", Two Track Mind,Texas Music Group 1993, which is based on
- Frank Hutchison's 1927 recording "Logan County Blues", on Worried Blues, Frank Hutchison & Kelly Harrell, JSP
- A banjo duet by R. B. Smith and S. J. Allgood, entitled "American & Spanish Fandango", Old Time Mountain Banjo, Country Records/Select-O
- Furry Lewis, ?Spanish Flang Dang?, The Memphis Blues Of Furry Lewis, 1968, Matchbox SDR 190 (UK) = Roots SL-505 (Cont. Europe)

"Spanish Flang Dang"
- Elizabeth Cotten, Freight Train and Other North Carolina Folk Songs, Smithsonian Folkways
- Mance Lipscomb,Texas Songster Volume 2: You Got To Reap What You Sow-CD, Arhoolie. See also "Spanish Fandango" for other versions of this song.

"Springtime In The Rockies", Leadbelly, Last Sessions, Smithsonian Folkways

"Sweet Bunch of Daisies",
- El Watson, Great Harp Players (1927-30), Matchbox MSE-209, or V. A.: Fillin' In Blues, Herwin H 205
- Jewell "Babe" Stovall, Rounder 2009 (1970) = Albatros VPA 8392 (1979)

"Sunset Waltz", Mississippi Mud Steppers,  Complete Charlie McCoy 1928-1932 Recordings-CD, Document
- for a very nice reharmonization, check out the version by Kim & Frank Basile and "samjessin" Mike Hoffman on this thread: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=4629.msg39054#msg39054

"Tennessee Waltz",
-Daddy Stovepipe on Blues From Maxwell Street (Heritage LP 1004),
-Scott Dunbar, unissued

"There Will Be A Happy Meeting In Glory Someday", Joseph Spence, Joseph Spence: The Complete Folkways Recordings, 1958

"This War Will Last You For Years", Son House, J.D. Short and Son House: Blues from the Mississippi Delta, Folkways Records - FW02467 1963

"U.S. Waltz", Furry Lewis, Various Artists: Beale Street Mess-Around, Rounder LP 2006

"United States March", in 6/8, Rev Gary Davis, The Guitar & Banjo Of Rev. Gary Davis, Fantasy Records

"Unlucky Man", Allen Brothers, Allen Brothers 1930-1932 vol. 2, Document records, ASIN: B00005K2Z5

"Waiting for You", Mississippi John Hurt, Last Sessions, Vanguard, for another take, also check out Library of Congress Recordings, volume 2

"Waltz Time Candyman", Rev Gary Davis, on LP Ragtime Guitar (Transatlantic TRA 244), or Reverend Blind Gary Davis, Heritage

"Watch the Fords Go By", Philip McCutcheon, the Cedar Creek Sheik
Never Let The Same Bee Sting You Twice, Document, DOCD-5678

"Weeping and Wailing", Mississippi John Hurt, Worried Blues, Rounder

"Wednesday Night Waltz", North Carolina Hawaiians, OKEH 45248, 1928

"What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?", Washington Phillips, I Am Born to Preach the Gospel, Yazoo

"When They Ring the Golden Bells", Alfred Karnes, Mountain Gospel, JSP

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night/ In The Pines/ Black Girl/Black Gal",
- Leadbelly, Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy, Vol. 1, Smithsonian Folkways, among others.
- Bill Monroe, "In The Pines", Best Of, Universal Music Group
- J. E. Mainer, "The Longest Train", in 3/2, When the Sun Goes Down, Vol. 10: East Virginia Blues, Rca
- Dock Walsh, In The Pines: Tar Heel Folk Songs & Fiddle Tunes: Old-Time Music Of North Carolina 1926-1936, Old Hat Records
- Alfred Karnes"Where We'll Never Grow Old", Mountain Gospel, JSP
- Tarlton & Darby, "Lonesome in the Pines", Tom Darby & Jimmie Tarlton: Atlanta 1927-1929, JSP

"Where We'll Never Grow Old", Alfred Karnes, Mountain Gospel, JSP. See also "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for other versions of the song.

"Wreck On The Highway", Dorsey Dixon, Babies In The Mill, Dorsey Dixon, Hightone CD, B000003OJ6. See also "I Didn't Hear Anybody Pray" above on the list.

Here's a link to a YouTube playlist, with all the songs mentioned in this thread, that could be found:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNEJV1lNKyyU2DjdjwKfNNDXiwVhbwWBQ&feature=mh_lolz
And a complementary playlist on Spotify, mainly for the songs that couldn't be found on YouTube:
http://open.spotify.com/user/1145504196/playlist/2fqOjDYfHHFAPWOPze5yQ3

Cheers, and thank you for your contributions in advance

Pan :)

Edited and re-edited as kindly suggested by banjochris, Bunker Hill, dj, Frankie, JohnM, mr mando, Rivers, Slack, SpikeDriver, Stefan Wirz and Uncle Bud.
The Stefan Wirz discography has been a big help!
http://www.wirz.de/music/american.htm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:34:29 PM by Pan »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Waltzes played by CB artists?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
Not strictly country blues but very strictly waltz time, Joseph Spence's Great Dream From Heaven & Happy Meeting In Glory come to mind.

Missouri Waltz, Mance Lipscomb on You Got To Reap What You Sow

What we really need is a few more indexes in DG&R, time signatures and bar structures!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:40:18 PM by Rivers »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:27:58 PM »
I have a feeling that, as you say Pan, the white-hillbilly and waltzes/black-blues divide enforced by record companies is the primary reason for the dearth of waltzes recorded by black performers. I also have a feeling, based on nothing more than educated guesswork and observation, that white performers and black performers tended to perform the same material when they played waltzes ("Missouri Waltz," "Birmingham Jail," &c.), so that racial divide would have been more strictly enforced by the record companies. The stuff that the Miss. Sheiks and friends recorded in 3/4 is both highly technically proficient and unusual; I also believe that the "Sheik Waltz," "Alma" and "Sunset" were released in old-time rather than race series.

In addition, by the time the folk revival came around, I think waltzes had acquired a definite "old-fashioned" (not in a good way) perception; for instance, the New Lost City Ramblers didn't record many pieces in waltz time, and only one instrumental waltz.

Frank Hutchison's record of Spanish Fandango is called "Logan County Blues" and is indeed a waltz.
Rev. Gary Davis' "Waltz Time Candyman" is on the CD just called Rev. Gary Davis that has the "Ragtime Guitar" and "Children of Zion" records combined on it.

Other waltzes:
Leadbelly does Birmingham Jail as well as Jimmie Rodgers' "Daddy and Home" (I can't remember his title for it, but it's one of the unissued ARC recordings) and I'm sure many others.

Mississippi John Hurt does "Farther Along," "Weeping and Wailing," "Waiting for You," "Nobody Cares for Me"

Rev. Gary Davis does I think at least one tune in 3/4 on the first CD of the Angels in Demons set, but I can't remember what it is.

Son House's "American Defense" and "President Kennedy" are both in waltz time.

This is a very interesting topic and I'm sure we'll see some unusual submissions.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:13:33 PM »
Hi Pan,
Interesting that you should post on this topic, since I've been thinking of doing just such a post for some time.  Between you and Rivers and banjochris, you guys got all of the tunes in 3/4 that I had thought of, though I'm sure there are more, especially from the songster contingent.  One sort of amazing thing is that three of John Hurt's waltzes, "Farther Along", "Weeping And Wailing" and "Nobody Cares for Me" crop up on the same CD, his original second album on the Piedmont label, "Worried Blues", which was recorded live at a Washington coffeehouse, the Ontario Place.  It is very hard to imagine another performer in the style playing three songs in 3/4 time over the course of an evening's two sets (though the recording may actually have been done over a series of nights). 
Whoops, just thought of a couple.  On his last sessions, Leadbelly did "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" and "Springtime In The Rockies", both of which are in 3/4.  There may be others, too, but I can't recall them, so I'll have to listen to the whole thing.  This is a very interesting topic, Pan.
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »
The Memphis Jug Band does "Jug Band Waltz" and "Mississippi River Waltz."

Libba Cotten's "Spanish Flangdang" is in waltz time, it's just a fast waltz time. Her "Graduation March" is in 6/8, which is the only "country blues" fingerstyle piece I can think of in 6/8 march or jig time.

Another similar tune to "Spanish Flangdang" is "Dew Drop," which Sam McGee played and Uncle Dave Macon parodied hilariously on "Uncle Dave's Travels Part 4 (Visit to the Old Maid's)."
Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:59:43 PM by banjochris »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »
Hi all,
Rev. Davis's "United States March" is in 6/8.
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »
>>Rev. Davis's "United States March" is in 6/8.

D'oh! Good catch, John. And I play it, too. And what I should have said about "Graduation March" is that it's the only tune in that genre I know where you play that quarter-note/eighth-note alternating bass; in "United States March" the thumb (in the first ["F"] part) mostly comes on the 1 and 4, if I'm expressing myself clearly. It does lots of weirder stuff in the "C" section.

Sorry about the low-budget quote -- I seem to be having a little Safari trouble.
Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:04:49 PM by banjochris »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 11:56:51 PM »
Tennessee Waltz, Daddy Stovepipe, Scott Dunbar perhaps unissued versions?
Waltz Time Candyman, Rev Gary Davis, but on which record?
All the following can be found in the respective artists or label discographies on Stefan's web site:

Daddy Stovepipe released on Blues From Maxwell Street (Heritage LP 1004)

RGD on LP Ragtime Guitar (Transatlantic TRA 244)

Dunbar remains unissued

And whilst here, a couple of post war ones

Jesse  Fuller
Down Home Waltz (Lake CD 5024)
Crazy Walz (Folk Lore LP 14006)

Furry Lewis
U.S. Waltz  (Rounder LP 2006)
Bugle Waltz (Genes CD)

I won't list the half dozen or so Clifton Chenier waltzes unless required to do so.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:47:05 AM »
The Mississippi Mud Steppers also did "Farewell Waltz" and "Morning Glory Waltz".

"New Huntsville Jail" - The Two Poor Boys (Joe Evans and Arthur McClain).

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
Hi all,
Washington Phillips's recording of "What Are They Doing In Heaven Today? is in 3/4.  It seems like hymns might be another category where more 3/4 songs that were recorded  will show up.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »
Hi all

Thank you for your responses! I'm happy to see the list growing much longer than I expected. I had completely missed the MJH waltzes, for example, and I'm thrilled to find out about their existence. Since MJH plays both Spanish Fandango and Goodnight Irene in 4/4 time, I was wondering whether or not he recorded any waltzes. Looks like the Rounder record, "Worried Blues" is a must-have.
The list looks like it could be a wonderful compilation record. I'm certainly going to be bankrupt if I purchase all the records on the list :-X :D.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
Miss The Mississippi And You, Jimmie Rodgers

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
Hi all,
Another would be Bill Monroe's "In The Pines".  A real oddity is J. E. Mainer's "The Longest Train", which is essentially the same song (as is Peg Leg Howell's "Rolling Mill Blues"), but is played in 3/2 time, so that each measure, instead of being "boom-chang-chang" as in 3/4, is "boom-chang-boom-chang-boom-chang".  This is extremely disorienting when you first hear it, especially with the "booms" in a G chord, for instance, landing successively on the sixth, fifth and sixth strings in measure.  It's like using a 4/4 feel to play in three.  Another place in which this 3/2 rhythmic feel is encountered is in Finnish polskas, so maybe you have heard some of them first-hand, Pan.  They are great tunes.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
Hi all,
Another would be Bill Monroe's "In The Pines".  A real oddity is J. E. Mainer's "The Longest Train", which is essentially the same song (as is Peg Leg Howell's "Rolling Mill Blues"), but is played in 3/2 time, so that each measure, instead of being "boom-chang-chang" as in 3/4, is "boom-chang-boom-chang-boom-chang".  This is extremely disorienting when you first hear it, especially with the "booms" in a G chord, for instance, landing successively on the sixth, fifth and sixth strings in measure.  It's like using a 4/4 feel to play in three.  Another place in which this 3/2 rhythmic feel is encountered is in Finnish polskas, so maybe you have heard some of them first-hand, Pan.  They are great tunes.
All best,
Johnm

These would be the same "family" of songs as Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night/ In The Pines/ Black Girl/Black Gal" if I'm not mistaken? They appear to be two different songs originally, but have merged since, if Wikipedia is to be believed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Did_You_Sleep_Last_Night .

I found a small sample of J. E. Mainer's "The Longest Train", but it was too brief to really dig into, so I won't comment on the polska resemblance ( to which I'm no expert)  :)

http://www.artistdirect.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+Search?select=Songs&searchtype=NormalSearch&start=1&searchstr=Longest+Train

Pan
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:43:47 PM by Pan »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 02:32:31 PM »
Son House: "This War Will Last You For Years", J.D. Short and Son House: Blues from the Mississippi Delta, Folkways Records - FW02467 1963

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal