collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's funny just how hard a man can fall, when he get to thinking one woman has got it all - Blind Arthur Blake, Chump Man Blues

Author Topic: You Don't Know My Mind  (Read 2597 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
You Don't Know My Mind
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »
I just got the Document cheapo double Barbecue Bob CD (?2.99!) and as soon as I heard his version of "You Don't Know My Mind" it clicked , that with the exception of one small change, this was the version sung by Herman E.Johnson in 1960 (one of my favorite blues of all time).

Tying this with the Joe Callicott on Blue Horizon where there are  2 versions and the original by Virginia Liston fron c.1923 I wonder how many more versions of this song are  weenies familiar with.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:19:10 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: You Don'tKnow My Mind
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »
Phew, this is testing my little grey cells but I've got a Josie Miles EP with it on and fairly sure it's the some song. I'll unearth it an give it a play.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
Totally unrelated to the matter in hand, here's a little tidbit of background info on Liston from Tom Lord's "Clarence Williams" (Storyville, 1976 p 61)

Clarence next introduces Virginia Liston, for another in his series of first recordings of singers. She was to go on to make quite a number of sides for Okeh, many of which involved Clarence. Virginia and her husband, Sam Gray, performed as a team on stage, with her husband playing piano, which he did occasionally on record. A provocative report in the DEFENDER (July 21, 1923) states that she "recorded for Paramount while in Chicago last week - "Jealous Hearted Blues" and "Never Put Your Mind on No one Man", with Lowey (sic) Austin, of the Monogram Theatre, accompanying on piano." There's been no trace of this session, so the present one for Okeh remains her first documented, and issued, session. The DEFENDER for October 10th mentioned that Gray and Liston were in New York to make records, and mentioned these two titles.

Offline cakewalk

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
Tampa red did a song with this title and I have messed with it for years.

the chorus includes the lyrical hook: "see me laughin, laughin to keep from cryin"

(cryin rhyming with mind)

Brian

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:37:29 PM »
One of the best versions of this song I ever heard was by Lowell Fulson - just vocal and guitar.  I heard it on a radio show broadcast out of Phoenix.  I don't think it's on any album (I looked for it) -- I think I remember the dj saying that Lowell had recorded it at the radio station.
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:52:18 PM »
Georgia White recorded a version very close to the B.Bob and H.Johnson lyrics.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:52:26 AM »
Hi all,
I have Brownie McGhee doing the song on a Folkways album recorded in 1959, "Brownie McGhee Sings The Blues".
All best,
Johnm

Offline jostber

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:58:46 AM »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
Just heard the Broke & Hungry cd "Searching for Odell Harris", rough hill country stuff, but final track is "You don't know..." Similar to J.Callicott but solo with electric guitar.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal