collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Folk music? I don't know no other kind but folk music. Did you ever hear a horse sing it? - Big Bill Broonzy

Author Topic: Global weenie  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Global weenie
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
After the recent generally positive reception for the juke tuned-in map we've been experimenting further with the Google Maps thing. The objective is to provide a quick visual of from where everyone is coming at any point in time, and hopefully expand weenie's global reach and inclusive nature.

Here's a prototype of a composite map that basically shows everybody connected to the site, either reading the forum, checking out the wiki, listening to the juke or all of the above. There's an element of 'if it looks like a nail every tool looks like a hammer' in this we do realize :P but it's pretty good fun nonetheless so bear with us.

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=maponline

Development is ongoing, we envisage adding a summmary total block by country, and a detail block as well.

All feedback is, as always, very welcome.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:45:53 PM by Rivers »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Global weenie
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:31:31 AM »
I see that I've moved to Dagenham and Scratchy has moved to Glasgow. These are highly unlikely and potentially offensive insinuations  ;D ;D

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »
Nice work, and fun!

The lonesome grey search bot somewhere in eastern China was a nice touch too!  8)

Cheers

Pan

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:18 AM »
I'd always assumed you were a Dagenham native Phil...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
Yep we resolve location from the ip address so it may not be totally accurate but thats all we have... but for the purposes of this app all we really need is the approx area

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I checked last night and it was giving my location as that of the DSLAM router (Everett, WA) that handles my service, not my physical location, which makes sense. Some websites that auto-detect give the option of entering the actual physical location (which it remembers), something that also makes sense if you're looking to check if a local retailer has an item in stock, etc. before you head out. But in our case, the extra step is just extra work for our intrepid IT masters. They do enough already! So I'll sign off with a big THANK YOU to them all!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
I'll put a disclaimer on there somewhere, to the effect that "although it may appear some weenies live in Dagenham or Glasgow this is clearly an absurd proposition and we deeply regret any distress, or decline in Dagenham property values, this may have caused"  :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
Nice work, and fun!

The lonesome grey search bot somewhere in eastern China was a nice touch too!  8)

Cheers

Pan

Cheers Pan. Yep, we get indexed daily by what we classify as 'good' bots, those that keep us high up the search rankings for CB topics, particularly on Google. In addition to Google bots the other search engines we see are China's Sosospider & Baidu, France's Exabot, US's Bing & Yahoo, and a few others.

We also get hit by a literally hundreds of spambots every day. These are hacked computers that are members of 'botnets'. The people who own the machines don't even know they're hacked in 99.9% of the cases. We started tracking their stats closely in December due to the bandwidth issues they were creating and now block the worst of them at the front door. It's an ever-changing picture but we have good tracking tools in place and can shift our blocks pretty quickly. The worst of them are from China, Ukraine, Russia and also the US

So I definitely recommend installing antivirus software and keeping it up-to-date if you don't want to become part of the zombie botnet army. If the worst does happen though and you need any help getting 'unhacked' let us know, we will be glad to assist. Ping us on Facebook if you ever see this when you try to access the site: http://weeniecampbell.com/403.shtml
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:13:09 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
Added totals by country list block, detail list block and moved things around a little.

Also, if you click on a detail list flag its info window pops on the map. Why? Because you can!

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?page=maponline
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:46:36 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Added the Currently Online Map to the left Quick Menu >> Who's Online
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:35:17 PM by Rivers »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal