collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail - Anon., A skilled Weenie, suffering through yet another 12 bar blues

Author Topic: Slow Blues in G Standard  (Read 5141 times)

Offline sustaireblues

Re: Slow Blues in G Standard
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the Sweet Petunia post Pan! And you're right, searching youtube gets you a lot to work from. I need the visual to get me in the ballpark of what's going on musically.

And John, thanks for the compliment on my instrument building, means a lot coming from you. I've really done most of my posting on the builder forums where I've learned a bunch but I'm ready to start sharing my builds on some of the players forums now and start getting some feedback.

I will keep on struggling with my playing and no place knows country blues like here at Weenie Campbell!

Thanks guys,
Joe

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Slow Blues in G Standard
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »
Hi all,
I've had occasion to run across some particularly nice slow blues played out of G position in standard tuning just recently.  I was listening to Sam Chatmon's Flyright album (thanks, Joe) and found the opening track, "Hollandale Blues" to be a beautiful slow blues in G position (though tuned low), as is Sam's "Ashtray Taxi".  Sam's predilection for G position in standard tuning is a little surprising, for it is a position notably under-utilized by Sam's brother, Bo Carter.  I wonder if some of Sam's nifty moves in this position came from Hacksaw or Eugene Powell (or vice versa)?  It's hard to say at this point . . . .
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal