collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pot of ham and cabbage, ain't enough to fill mine. That just makes me peckish, I could eat a dozen fine - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: Brian Rust, Discographer Obit  (Read 821 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Brian Rust, Discographer Obit
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

I never heard of this gentleman until I read this, but he sounds like someone I should be thankful for his work.

Any insights from our British contingent?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/arts/music/25rust.html?adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1295936495-iHsA82GkNvx5ILqhaExSPg

Lindy

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Brian Rust, Discographer Obit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:08 AM »
I suppose the main thing that pre war blues fans have to thank Brian for is the fact that in 1964 he was brave enough to privately publish the very first edition of Godrich and Dixon?s Blues & Gospel Records. From little acorns...etc etc.

I only met him once, very briefly, about thirty years ago. He struck me as a walking encyclopedia of jazz, which probably doesn't mean much since back then my knowledge of the subject was pretty poor.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
The two volumes he produced are, if you like the jazz (pre 42) equivalent of Dixon\Goodrich and indispensible if you are serious jazz about prewar jazz, I never met him although a friend of mine did. Probably fair to say the Rust and John R T Davis were the leaders as far as British jazz collectors\guru's went. 
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Colin Brooks

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:37:22 PM »
Brian Rust had a one hour Sunday program on one of the London commercial radio stations in the 70's or early 80's as I remember. I enjoyed the 20's and 30's commercial bands and jazz he played greatly.

Somewhere in the house there are tapes of some of theses progs. I must look for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal