collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've been in bigger jails than you've been towns - Arthur Jackson aka Peg Leg Pete aka Peg Leg Sam, in Bruce Bastin's Crying for the Carolines, p.85

Author Topic: building a gibson L-0?  (Read 2418 times)

deltabrent

building a gibson L-0?
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:25:49 PM »
I was told to ask if anyone had build a gibson L-0 style guitar. I'm thinking of building one as my second guitar out of yellow cedar with a spruce top. I'm also thinking about making a yellow cedar neck. Anyone have any thoughts on them as a project guitar also how should it be braced? H bracing was traditional but would X bracing be better or latter bracing?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: building a gibson L-0?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:48:58 PM »
Welcome to WC DeltaBrent!

I've built one. An all mahogany one and I X-braced it.  I also have an original H braced L-0 from the late 20's - the original sounds better.   :P  They are great looking guitars, people love the shape.  If you want to build an original from a plan - the Guild of Amercian Luthiers has a very nice plan by Ted Davis. I think you should build it and brace it however you want.  Here is a favorite pic of the one I built  ;)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »
Welcome to WC deltabrent! Slack, feel free to send me your Slackjaw L-0 since you don't like the sound of it...   :P I remember it being very nice.

Online GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
Actually the "Dodson" is very nice. Don't tell Slack, but I like it better then the original.

Alex

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 12:42:12 PM »
Hi all,
I will also vouch for the Dodson guitar.  It plays and sounds great and looks really good too.  Altogether a really nice job, John D.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »
Thanks fellars!

My New Years resolution is to get off this darn computer and get back out in the shop!  :D

deltabrent

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Good call get in the shop! I'm gonna as soon as I graduate from freakin art school! I'll keep playin till then! Anyone else on L-0? how much would one cost really?

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal