collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Use your instrument to play the blues. Don't use the blues to play your instrument - James Harman

Author Topic: "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Thanks, Gordon.  I hope you have fun with it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline eric

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
Social isolation plan for today:  Listen to Johnm's Texas Blues title list while I wait for the book to show up.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 02:17:27 PM »
Good on you, Eric--if you need to hunker down anyway . . . .
All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »
Hi John-
The book is great. I really like the playing tips before each transcription. I've decided to start with a song I've heard 100's of times but never tried to play. Little Hat Jones "Bye Bye Baby Blues."

I have one question, if you don't mind. What fingering do you suggest using for the walk up on the 3rd string in the intro (and in the last measure of every verse/solo)?

After this run, LHJ goes immediately into a G on the 6th string. So should I keep my ring finger anchored on the 6th string 3rd fret and use my middle and pinky fingers to play the 3rd string? Or do I "assign a finger" and immediately move my ring finger from the 3rd string to the 6th string? I certainly doubt he's wrapping the thumb there.

I appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
Hate to answer myself before you answer, but he's definitely anchoring the ring finger on the 6th string. The 11th measure gave it away.

What a great song.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
Hi Forgetful Jones,
I'm really glad you're enjoying the book and find the playing tips helpful.  And I'm especially glad you figured out how to finger that lick in "Bye Bye Baby Blues" yourself.  Good work!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 05:51:39 AM »
Hi John-
I'm actually surprised that I haven't come across that move more often, considering the vast number of songs that use the little finger and index finger to fret the 3rd & 1st frets of the 1st & 2nd strings when playing in G.

It's gonna take a little time and practice for the little finger & middle finger to work together naturally.

I vaguely remember playing a Mance Lipscomb song years ago that required the same fingerings. I can't remember what song that might have been.

Cheers

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Hi Forgetful Jones,
One thing you can do to make that move easier is have the second finger floating when you're playing in G, only putting it down when it is necessary to use it to fret a note.  That way that finger can move more freely between the second fret of the fifth, fourth and third strings as necessary.  If your default position in G has that finger constantly holding down the second fret of the fifth string, it's much more difficult to move that finger to other strings when you have to do that.  You can see John Hurt handling the left hand that way when he plays "Spike Driver's Blues" in that video from Pete Seeger's old "Rainbow Quest" TV show.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal