collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The sweet, passionate melody captivated his heart from the first note; it was full of radiance, full of the tender throbbing of inspiration and happiness and beauty, continually growing and melting away; it rumoured of everything on earth that is dear and secret and sacred to mankind; it breathed of immortal sadness and it departed from the earth to die in the heavens - Ivan Turgenev

Author Topic: Rev. Gary Davis tribute evening  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Rev. Gary Davis tribute evening
« on: April 06, 2022, 08:12:20 AM »
My good friend, Mick Knight, contacted me recently to say he'd realised May 5 this year marks the 50th anniversary of Rev. Davis' passing. He is therefore organising a celebratory event on May 9 at the Jenny Lind pub in Hastings Old Town (UK). He will perform and is keen for other players to turn up and play. It does not have to be exclusively Gary's material so other country blues and gospel will be welcomed. He even wondered if any American Weenies might cross the ocean for the event!.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:49:45 PM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Rev. Gary Davis tribute evening
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 03:06:51 AM »
It is also worth mentioning that entry to the event will be free for audience and performers alike.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 01:11:21 AM »
Wow Mick's back in the UK? Say hi from Mark & Cheryl in upstate NY. If things get any fricken' crazier in these Disunited States of America we might be seeing y'all again, sooner rather than later... :)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 01:16:56 PM »
Wow Mick's back in the UK? Say hi from Mark & Cheryl in upstate NY. If things get any fricken' crazier in these Disunited States of America we might be seeing y'all again, sooner rather than later... :)
Will do, Mark. Although not a Weenie member, I know Mick does check out these pages from time to time, so he'll probably see your comment anyway.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:22:56 AM »
He's covered Rev. Davis and Blind Lemon. Next up is Memphis Minnie.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 07:09:41 AM »
A recent tribute to Mississippi John Hurt was a great success and next up is an homage to Robert Johnson featuring Roger Hubbard, in my humble opinion one of the finest exponents of his work. A copy of the poster is below.

I am also posting a link to a YouTube video of Mick doing a Sleepy John tune accompanied by Jem Turpin on harp and Piers Clark on mandolin. In the early and mid 70s, Roger Hubbard and Barry Denyer played once a week in a Hastings pub and welcomed other musicians, including Mick Knight with his ragtime fingerpicking guitar skills and Piers who played boogie-woogie piano. I later learned he could play electric guitar in the style of BB King and acoustic in the styles of Blake, Rev. Davis, John Hurt, etc. He then turned up in Roger's band Delta Wing playing electric bass and harmonica (Roger on slide and a young Jon Cleary on lead guitar). He subsequently became a formidable jazz guitarist and here he is on mandolin. Such talent!....
Barbecue Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal