collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We wrote this song, it's our own compose' - Sleepy John Estes, Don't You Want To Know 1941

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222516 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2005, 07:36:53 AM »
Howdy all,

I'm a new Weenie and am really enjoying this site...it is a wonderful resource for new converts like myself.  I came to the country blues through Mississippi John Hurt...the first time I heard "candy man" I was hooked.  I've been playing myself for less than a year but have a songs that sound almost credible...to myself at least.  I live in VT and am trying to find like minded musicians in the area with little success so far.

Cheers for now,

Blue inVT
Blue in VT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2005, 08:25:35 AM »
Welcome Blue in VT!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »
Hi

Since I'm new here, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself, before I start pestering you all with my zillion questions. 
My name is Pan Salmenhaara, I'm 43 years old and have been playing guitar with varying succes for about 25 years. I'm from Finland (!), so I hope you'll excuse me for my occasional bad english.
I've been playing in all sorts of blues and jazz bands, but somewhwere in the back of my skull there's always been the idea that there's plenty of more good acoustic stuff to be found out there, than my few old scratchy Folkways records.
Your site is amazing! I've never found so much information about CB music in one place in my entire life!
I think I found out about you through mr. Ari Eisingers' site, can't be sure anymore.

I wish you all a very good new year 2006!

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2005, 03:57:02 PM »
Hello Pan - welcome to WeenieCampbell!  glad you found us.

I may be sticking my foot in my mouth - but isn't Hans Theessink from Finland?  Hans is a very accomplished CB player.

In any case, Happy Holidays and New Year to you and your family!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2005, 04:25:13 PM »
...welcome, Pan ... best site on the web for CB ... and don't worry about your English, because it's better our Finnish ...  ;)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2005, 05:06:14 PM »
Come to think of it...
There's a finnish band which  may be of some interest with you guys. I'm talking about a band called  The Wentus Blues Band, which has co-worked with Louisiana Red. I don't know if the result can be called country blues, 'cause I've never heard them, and I suppose they are basically an electric band.

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »
Welcome Pan! Better English than Slack, anyways...   >:D

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
Howdy:

Geez, tough crowd.

Unkie Bud is evil!

Happy New Year all. I'm hunkered down with my L-00 and my 2-17, Tryin' to get FS's Nehi Mamma Blues.

Welcome Pan!

Alex
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:12:18 PM by Pyrochlore »

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
Hi. My name is Roscoe and I just found you all. I have been playing this kind of music since my big sis gave me a Newport Folk Fest album in the early 60's. It had John Hurt on it and I was a gonner from then on. I live in Eureka Springs Arkansas and if there are any other CB nuts round here lets get together and pick a tune. I like to play clawhammer banjo and old timey too. Thanks and the juke radio is a gas.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2005, 12:33:34 PM »
Welcome Roscoe!

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2006, 01:04:52 PM »
From Atlanta area. Focused 95% acoustic and play limited professional appearances. Trying to completely reinvent my playing and Weenie Campbell and the people here have been a wonderful resource. I've never met many people that like to talk about this stuff or know more than I do. So now coming to this place I am almost overloaded with good information and to be honest it's hard to make an intelligent post in this mix but I will enjoy reading, learning and trying to chime in from time to time. Thanks recently for all the help on the licks, lyrics and lessons. Johnm and others have been a fresh breeze.

Doug
LB

Offline Doug

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2006, 08:09:01 AM »
I'm loving this website!  I lurked here as a guest for several months, logged in, and have now lurked here for another several weeks, and thought I would finally post.   :D

I'm in my mid-30s, have played guitar for about 15 years, and have loved blues for about 10 years.  But until recently there hasn't been a lot of connection between the two.

I started playing guitar to play choruses in our church, so basic chording.  Later on, I decided to play through the hymn book, and decided to try to start reading music and playing notes...  and this is what I mostly play now. 

Along the way I got into blues music, through listening to Clapton, and then listening to his influences.  I (basically) grew out of Clapton, and kept his influences.  When the online music subscription service e-music was still offering "unlimited" downloads, I downloaded everything I thought I might be interested in for three months, and let my tastes sort through it...They had (have?) some amazing offerings!  I'm a big fan of pre-war acoustic blues, piedmont finger-picking, and "holy blues" (Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Willie Johnson, etc.). 

Recently I decided to try to start learning how to play some of the blues I like, so I've just started an introductory lesson from Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop.  While there, I discovered the Woodshed (wonderful), which led me here!  I've really enjoyed reading and learning here the past while...  there's so much I never knew (the entire thread on Karnes is eye-opening).  I'm hoping to hear more of the Juke too, especially on Sundays...

Thanks for the great site!

Doug

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2006, 09:00:45 AM »
Welcome Doug!  Glad you found us!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
...welcome Doug, and if you like the spiritual side of the music, you won't find a deeper well than RGD & BWJ ... also, check out Josh White and Blind Willie McTell, to name just  a few...

Offline Doug

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2006, 07:42:36 AM »
...welcome Doug, and if you like the spiritual side of the music, you won't find a deeper well than RGD & BWJ ... also, check out Josh White and Blind Willie McTell, to name just  a few...

I do love the spiritual side of the music, and I find it interesting the range of attitudes towards it.  There were those who played mostly secular and dipped into the spiritual side of things (MJH, Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.), and those who chose to play either one or the other (Son House, Thomas Dorsey, RGD, BWJ, etc.)

I do know some of Blind Willie McTell's music, but other than "God Don't Like it", can't recall much of his stuff that would be classed as spiritual.  I am hoping to hear more of Josh White...  I know that he has an early period and a later period that are completely different, and that in the early period he recorded both blues (as Pinewood Tom?) and spirituals (as "The Singing Christian").  But I haven't heard much of him yet.

Thanks for the tips!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal