collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What she did to me, people, ain't never been done before. But she really made me like it, and I want to do some more - Peetie Wheatstraw, Block and Tackle

Author Topic: Side Street Steppers: "T'Ain't No Sin"  (Read 534 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Side Street Steppers: "T'Ain't No Sin"
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
Okay, okay, okay - it ain't country blues, I know, but I feel like this is my community, my home on the Internet, so I just have to post it here.  This is the second official Side Street Steppers music video, released just three days ago.  I promise the next one (we have two more videos coming out in the fall) will be more to the taste of everyone on this forum.

The video was made by Adam Remsen of Memphis, TN, and it was filmed in the back room at Ernestine and Hazel's on South Main Street.  (Incidentally, the stage we are playing on was built for Samuel L. Jackson to play on in the film Black Snake Moan...)  The dancers are from Red Hot Lindy Hop here in town, and they sure cut a mean rug.  Oh yeah, and that's Jeremy Barzizza joining us on tenor sax, blowing his little heart out...

This track and the Skillet Good & Greasy track will both be on our forthcoming CD, titled "Memphis Stomp."  If you would like to pre-order this CD or peruse the other great rewards we have made available, just follow the link below to our Kickstarter project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1989322455/side-street-steppers-memphis-stomp-cd

About the song:

As far as I can figure, "T'Aint No Sin" was a Tin Pan Alley number written by Walter Donaldson, with music by Edgar Leslie, in 1929.  We found it via a couple of sources -the Lee Morse recording, and the more recent release by the Jake Leg Stompers.  We play it in the key of D, and this is one of a small handful of jazz numbers I play on tenor banjos.  For those who care about such things, the banjo in question is a Bacon & Day Senorita from the 1940's/50's - lots of greenish mother-of-toiletseat.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal