collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues fans are just thick. You can play them any old rubbish and they'll cheer. It doesn't matter how badly you play because blues fans, who are supposed to he so intelligent, will accept anything, however abysmal' - Chris Mercer, quoted by the mysterious Neville Wiggins, The History of Rock Volume 5 Issue 56 (Stepping Out), 1983, p.1101-1103

Author Topic: Furry Lewis' Guitar Playing--Queries and Tips  (Read 4349 times)

farka

Furry Lewis' Guitar Playing--Queries and Tips
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Anyone know of an available tab for Furry Lewis's "Falling Down Blues"? For that matter, any Furry stuff. I did see the keys in the search, which is very helpful. He has so many little tricks and licks -- maybe we could open a discussion on some of Furry's more idiosyncratic fills. He's one of those artists I have a tough time "getting my pencil and paper and... writing down" because he qualifies, to me, as absolutely ethereal, demanding of full absorption and attention. Anyone with me there?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:37:32 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Falling Down Blues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
Hi Farka,
I did an instructional DVD on Furry's music for Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop that has transcriptions of "Billy Lyons and Stagolee", "Rock Island Blues", "I Will Turn Your Money Green", "Mistreatin' Mama Blues", "Kassie Jones", "Dryland Blues" and "Big Chief Blues".  On a forthcoming DVD on Memphis Blues I will teach "Good-Looking Girl Blues".  The DVD can be found/ordered at www.guitarvideos.com.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:16:24 PM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
Hi farka,

Falling Down is in Vestapol, pitched around D if I recall. Basic alt bass for the thumb. The slide "home" position is on first string, 4th fret, but basically playing around on frets 2 to 4 with slides up and down, hammer-ons pull-offs with the slide and the open string. He does a little hammer-on on the 2nd string at the 2nd fret going to the open 1st string to end many phrases. Other than that there is the walk up on the IV chord (open 5th string, 1st fret, 2nd fret). Those are the basics.

I think if one sits down with this tune the notes are pretty easy to get. You can figure out some of the riffs to have variations on the basic structure. The tricky part is really Furry's loose form, with phrases going long where he draws out a riff etc. Fun.

farka

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
Thanks so much, uncle bud. Yeah, it is very easy once you put it that way. I am susceptible to getting transfixed. I don't know what it is, but things turn my left brain totally off sometimes.

John Miller! Pleased to make your virtual acquaintance. Great stuff there.

Offline pete12string

Help with Furry Lewis tunes?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:04 AM »
Can anybody give me clues on how to play "I Will Turn Your Money Green" By Furry Lewis?  I've been noodling around with it for quite a while but am not there yet.  I'm playing in Spanish tuning.  Any help?  Another Furry Lewis tune I've been meaning to sit down with is "Big Chief Blues".  Any clues for getting me started with that one would also be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Help with Furry Lewis tunes?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Hi Pete - not sure how far along you are with it, but there are several examples on YouTube that can get you closer to Turn Your Money Green. John Miller's Furry Lewis instructional DVD for Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop can't be beat for learning Furry material, IMO. Turn Your Money Green is out of Spanish tuning as you say, while Big Chief is played out of Vestapol. And there's this as a reference: http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=Furry_Lewis_Guitar_Keys_and_Positions
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:00:29 AM by uncle bud »

Offline pete12string

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Hey Uncle Bud,

Thanks for the tips!  I think I'll look into getting John Miller's DVD.  Also, the Weeniepedia stuff looks like it has a lot of great info.  Great stuff!  Thanks again.

Pete

Offline GavinG

• Only one missing is a National Style O....someday!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
Perhaps this vid may help. The angle seems to be good. I have been able to get a starting point a few times from vids like this.

Gav

Tags: Furry Lewis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal