collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all - Albert King, Born Under a Bad Sign

Author Topic: Were nylon string guitars more prevalent in early recorded country blues?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline WowCoolNeat

• Howdy!
I ask because most photographs of early blues players have them holding nylon string guitars, yet during the folk revival I mostly see steel string players. Does anyone have any knowledge of this and why?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Were nylon string guitars more prevalent in early recorded country blues?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Hi WowCoolNeat,
What they were holding may have looked like nylon string guitars, being small-bodied and often having slotted heads, but in fact they were strung with steel strings.  Use of nylon strings on the guitars of blues players of whatever era is virtually unheard of.
All best,
Johnm

Offline WowCoolNeat

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
I did not know there were steel string guitars with slotted heads. I'm guessing the bridges had pegs like typical steel-string guitars? They weren't putting steel strings on classical guitars?

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Here's an article discussing some of the instruments old bluesmen were thought of using. All sorts of guitars, but no classicals.

http://www.earlyblues.com/blues_singers.htm

Edited to add: on this page you'll find images and sound samples of old guitars used by bluesmen. Quite a few have slotted heads. They might have a pin bridge or a floating one.

http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/SoundTest1/index.htm

But really, any guitar that suits you well will do. Only problem with nylon strings is, they stretch, when bent, so bending metal strings is somewhat easier.

Cheers,

Pan
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:47:57 PM by Pan »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal