collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It has been reliably reported that the bus with the performers that accompanied him pulled out of town, leaving him behind on the streets of Houston, still drunk - Doctor Clayton is ditched by his band after showing up under the influence at a dance gig for 3,000 people in Houston, Houston Informer, August 29, 1942

Author Topic: Port T 2014 Blues Week  (Read 4800 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Port T 2014 Blues Week
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »
You folks are very lucky people!  Fantastic lineup.

I agree. No Ari but I guess you can't have everything.

Alex

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
At least I'll be able to hang onto El Trovador for the week...

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=1443

Offline eric

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Well folks, I'm signed up this year.  First time for me.  I hope to meet some of you there.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
That's great, Eric!  I look forward to meeting you up there after all these years at the Weenie site.
All best,
Johnm

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
I have at least one more Dr. visit for my bum ankle but my wife just told me I'm going no matter what.

Admittedly playing guitar hasn't been my top priority but knowing I'm coming to PT and hanging out with all of you sure will be motivation enough.
Woo Hoo !!!
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline funkapus

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
Well, I'm heading out for my first time.  Nervous but excited!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
It will be an excellent year.

Missed it the first time Eric --- I'll be glad to meet you guys!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
Eric, funkapus, anyone else! You`re going to have a great time! Gary, your wife is great -- or she wants you out of the damn house for awhile.

Offline funkapus

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
I have some trip-related questions I'm hoping wiser folks can help me with.

1.  My honey is going out to Seattle with me several days early; we're going to spend a few days playing tourist in the Seattle area before splitting up (me to Port Townsend, her to visit a friend in Sacramento).  Anyone have any special recommendations for things tourists ought to do while in the Seattle area for a few days?  I guess there are some obvious things like the Space Needle and Pike Place Market and stuff like that, but I'm wondering if there's anything we might not read about elsewhere, or might read about but not realize just how not-to-be-missed it is, etc.  Asking so far in advance because we haven't made our hotel/B&B reservations in Seattle yet because we wanted to book near things we're likely to do, and we haven't figured out what we're likely to do yet.

2.  Also, any particularly good places to go in Seattle to buy recorded music?  Especially of local acts?  The only store I know about in the Seattle area is Sonic Boom.  It's probably too early to ask about anyone *playing* in Seattle during that time.

3.  I know about Dusty Strings in Fremont, although I've never been.  Any place else cool to drop in?

4.  Will there be laundry facilities at Fort Worden?  Since I'm going to be away from home for a week and a half, I'd normally take a fair amount of clothes etc.  But I know I'm going to be returning with more stuff than I left with (CDs I buy on the trip; are there Port T t-shirts and other swag?  is there Weenie swag?),  and I need to bring stuff for the workshop itself, etc.; so I'd really prefer to pack light.   If there's laundry machines in the dorm that would be very cool.

5.  Since I'm flying, I'll likely bring a Voyage Air.  Any reasons at all that that's a bad idea?

Thanks a lot everyone.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:49:12 PM by funkapus »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »
Here's a link to King County Metro and to Silver Platters for starters:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

http://www.silverplatters.com/

Let us know what you're interested in and perhaps we can come up with more specific recommendations.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
I'll let the locals answer what to do in Seattle (personally, I'd get out of the city, rent a car and drive around the Olympic peninsula - I like outdoor stuff)

4.  Yes there are laundry facilities at Fort Wardon... sometimes hard to get your stuff in, depending on what time of day you want to do laundry. During blues week there is a "Blues Store" set up for the week that sells CDs, instructional DVDs, books, guitars, guitar accessories, Blues Week T-shirts, sweatshirts, and other swag.  I usually bring Weeniecampbell case stickers to give out.

5. No reasons.  Bring what you want to play and/or show off.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »
I agree with Slack. While there are certainly things to do in Seattle, going out to the Olympic peninsula--or down to Mt. Rainier or even to St. Helens is a better choice, IMHO. You could cover the touristy stuff in a day and then use the rest of your time here to explore the Great Northwest.

Offline funkapus

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
Here's a link to King County Metro and to Silver Platters for starters:

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

http://www.silverplatters.com/

Let us know what you're interested in and perhaps we can come up with more specific recommendations.
Thanks.  It's hard to say what we like to do because we like most things.  If there are great museums, we like those.  If there are cool neighborhoods to walk around in, we like to do that.  If there are arboretums or gardens to visit, we love those.  We both love to eat seafood, which I expect will be much better out there than we're able to get in D.C. at any sane price.  I've been to Seattle once before, but it was a "passing through" kind of thing and the only touristy thing I had a chance to do on that trip was when a friend I stayed with took me to the Chittenden Locks and we saw the salmon in the fish ladder (he lived nearby).

Everywhere I travel, even on work trips, if I have the time I try to pick up some recordings of local acts to bring home, and try to get out and see music.

I'll let the locals answer what to do in Seattle (personally, I'd get out of the city, rent a car and drive around the Olympic peninsula - I like outdoor stuff)
I agree with Slack. While there are certainly things to do in Seattle, going out to the Olympic peninsula--or down to Mt. Rainier or even to St. Helens is a better choice, IMHO. You could cover the touristy stuff in a day and then use the rest of your time here to explore the Great Northwest.
Thanks -- that's actually more or less the way I was thinking, although the relative apportionment of time to the city/the gorgeous surroundings will have to get sorted out between Mary and me.  :)  Going to the Olympic peninsula appeals both because it's pretty and because I think car ferries are cool (I know, I'm strange).  I wonder if that's a day trip or a two-day trip . . .

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »
Take a couple of days, there are some cheap motels I think, Mt St Helens is fascinating, the HOH rain forest.  It's all gorgeous.

Offline orvillej

• Bama-Lama Bama-Loo- Little Richard
    • orvillejohnson.com
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
Another great local record store is Easy Street Records.

http://easystreetonline.com/

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal