collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
America is world-famous, after all, for celebrating the new, living in the moment. How quick we are to discard, to expunge what is not immediately relevant to us - Richard Sudhalter's musings on his way home from a cruise ship gig after drawing a blank with two backpackers when discussing Hoagy Carmichael and Stardust

Author Topic: High Water Everywhere  (Read 1939 times)

Offline motmot

• Some said it's beans, some said it's greens
High Water Everywhere
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:38:33 AM »
From today's Asheville Citizen-Times:

"The Swannanoa River was returning to its banks Thursday morning after washing over much of Biltmore Village and many businesses upstream. The river crested at Biltmore at 19.2 ft., making it the third-highest crest in the rivers history. It had reached 26 feet in 1791 and 20.7 in 1916."

The Swannanoa  River at Biltmore Village is a couple hundred yards from my house.  Thankfully, those few hundred yards also account for a significant change in elevation, so my home is high and dry ... but still without potable water or power (the substation is still under the river).

Maybe I can work on some Charley Patton licks . . .

cheers,
motmot (Tom)
... but it's a slow consumption, killing me by degrees

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: High Water Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 11:43:33 AM »
Glad everything's ok...  as I was reading the most recent posts, the quote generator spat out these in a most oracle-like manner:

"I'm so blue, my house got washed away. And I'm crying 'How long 'fore another payday?" - Barbecue Bob Hicks, Mississippi Heavy Water Blues

"Black water risin', Southern people can't make no time. And I can't get no hearin' from that Memphis gal of mine" - BLJ, Rising High Water Blues

Weird...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:38:52 PM »
Glad to hear you've weathered it well so far, Tom.  My two sisters in Florida and their families have just been through two hurricanes, and it looks like a third may be on the way.  So far, so good, I think, but the turn the southeastern weather has been taking recently is kind of gulp-inducing.
Re your subject title in this thread, I was just thinking how in two different Country blues songs that exist in a Part 1 and Part 2 format, Charley Patton's "High Water Everywhere" and Garfield Akers's "Cottonfields", part 1 is tremendous, and part 2 is . . . supernatural.  I wonder why they turned out that way.  Just happenstance, I guess.
All best,
Johnm

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 02:05:18 PM »
I feel for ya, Tom. Having had our basement flat flooded twice this winter due to heavy rains and antiquated sewer systems here in San Francisco, we now have to move out for several months while the entire sewer system of the house is renovated and fitted with a check valve to prevent any further backflow. High Water Everywhere, indeed.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal