Country Blues > Performance Corner

John Miller Website

<< < (43/44) > >>

Johnm:
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for April, 2022 will be my own version of "Titanic", from my first album, "First Degree Blues". I played the song in D in Dropped- D tuning, using Leadbelly's version for the melody, but making up my own guitar part. Here is the performance:

For the lesson I've transcribed the intro solo, verse accompaniment and the complete long solo later in the rendition, which goes five times through the form. IN addition to the transcription, you'll receive very thorough talk-throughs of each section of the piece. Cost of the lesson in April, 2022 only is $35.00, and you can make payment at paypal.com by making a deposit to my account, which is the same as my email address, john@johnmillerguitar.com . I hope you'll take advantage of the opportunity to learn this driving rendition, which is hugely fun to play.
All best,
John

Johnm:
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that I have selected Scrapper Blackwell's "Penal Farm Blues" as the Song of the Month lesson for the month of May, 2022 at my website, johnmillerguitar.com . Scrapper recorded the song at his first solo session, in 1928, and the approach he took to playing in E position in standard tuning was very unusual at that time, almost orchestral-sounding, with big moving chords. Here is his "Penal Farm Blues":

For the lesson, I have transcribed Scrapper's intro and verse one, two and five accompaniments (he took no solos on the song). In addition to receiving the TAB transcription, if you order the lesson you'll receive thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription. Cost of the lesson during the month of May only is $35.00, with U.S. residents having the option of purchasing a hard copy version for $45.00. To place an order, go to johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, and the method for making payment is described there. I hope folks will take advantage of the chance to learn a trail-blazing performance in E that was to prove to be very influential on later players in the style.

All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for June 2022 is John Hurt's 1928 version of "Ain't No Tellin'", which he was to record as "Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor" in the 1960s. The '28 version is one of the most stellar recordings of a Country Blues in C position, standard tuning that has ever been done. Here is his performance:

The TAB transcription that comes with the lesson has his intro, verse one and two accompaniments, a solo, the verse three accompaniment and another solo. In addition to receiving the transcription, if you order the lesson, you'll receive thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription, with fingering and picking tips. Cost of the lesson during June, 2022 is $35.00. To order the lesson, go to johnmillerguitar.com in the "Teaching" section and follow the instructions there for making payment. I hope folks will take advantage of the opportunity to learn to play this version, for it has many fascinating licks that John Hurt would never record again in his later versions.
All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for July, 2022 will be Bo Carter's "My Little Mind", Bo's version of the song more commonly known as "You Don't Know My Mind". Bo played the song in E position in standard tuning, which he seemed to reserve for his most low-down accompaniments. Here is "My Little Mind".

The TAB transcription that comes with the lesson includes Bo's intro, verse one and two accompaniments, solo and coda. In addition the lesson includes thorough talk-throughs of each section of the transcription. It is available for the month of July only for $35.00. To order the lesson, go to johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section, and follow the instructions for making payment there. Thanks for your attention and I hope you'll take advantage of the opportunity to learn this terrific Bo Carter number.
All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for September, 2022 is Bo Carter's terrific tune in A in standard tuning, "Bo Carter's Advice". Here is his performance of the song:

In the lesson, you'll receive a TAB transcription with his intro, verse accompaniment, solo and coda, as well as through talk-throughs of each section describing his fingering in the fretting hand and picking. Cost of the lesson during the month of September only is $35.00. To order the lesson, go to my website, johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section and follow the instructions for making payment shown there. I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn yet another stellar song from Bo Carter.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see that we did not have the lyrics for "Bo Carter's Advice" transcribed and entered in Weeniepedia, so here they are:

INTRO

Now just listen here, men, what Bo Carter say for you to do, mmmmm
Eh just listen here now, men, what Bo Carter say for you to do
Say don't you never let none of these old triflin' women, man, never worry you

I mean, they'll keep you worryin', they'll bother you all the time, mmmmm
I mean, they'll keep you worryin', they'll bother you all the time
Say they'll take some other man and leave you, after you give them your last dime

I mean, they'll fuss, they'll squabble, man, the whole night through, mmmmm
I mean, they'll fuss, they'll squabble, man, the whole night through
Just let you know they want some other man now, oh in the bed in the place of you

SOLO

Says when you say you're gonna leave 'em, they'll beg you the whole night long, mmmmm
Says when you say you're gonna leave 'em, they'll beg you the whole night long
Say they'll tell you that they're gonna do better, they'll swear they're gonna stay at home

Now just listen here, men, won't you take Bo Carter's egvice [sic], mmmmm
Now just listen here now, men, won't you take Bo Carter's egvice [sic]
Just learn to live a bachelor, and you'll play safety first

CODA

Edited 9/1 to pick up correction from Blues Vintage

All best,
Johnm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version