collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
John said he had been to the doctor, who said, "You gotta quit smoking those Camels". Eyeing the cigarette that John was about to place in his mouth, someone said "But John, you're still smoking", to which John replied, "Well, he didn't say nothin' about Pall Malls" - from Phil Ratcliffe's Biography of Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: Geoff Muldaur, Suzy Thompson, Tony Marcus, etc. in SF Bay Area  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Geoff Muldaur, Suzy Thompson, Tony Marcus, etc. in SF Bay Area
« on: November 24, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
For those Weenies in the Bay Area:
Once a year, I play a few gigs with Geoff Muldaur in a conglomeration he calls (with tongue firmly in cheek) the Fountain of Youth String Band.  It consists of Geoff, Tony Marcus, Larry Hanks, me, and Eric Thompson.  Our annual gigs are coming up soon:
Fri. Dec. 2 at the Palms in Winters
www.palmsplayhouse.com
Sat. Dec. 3 at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley
www.freightandsalvage.org

We do a mix of old blues, jug band stuff, and other related material.  Geoff is one of my very favorite singers of all time, in fact, last time around I got so involved in listening to him singing Wild Ox Moan that I completely forgot to play anything on the fiddle and just played one note for the whole song.  He also has a very fine way of interpreting the old songs and making them his own, and creates wonderful guitar settings.
Some of you may know Tony Marcus from his work with Cats & Jammers and from the Cheap Suit Serenaders, he is expert at lots of different instruments and plays cool swing guitar among many other things.
Larry Hanks is a folksinger, an excellent Jimmie Rodgers style guitarist, has a magnificent deep bass voice, and is a world-renowned jews harp player
Eric Thompson (my beloved husband) doesn't say or sing much, but picks the hell out of any stringed instrument!
Me, I play the fiddle and sing some, and will probably play a bit of diatonic accordion at these gigs as well.
Hope to see some of you there!
Suzy Thompson

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal