collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It has been suggested that this artist was Robert Johnson's mother, but this appears not to be the case - Blues and Gospel Records 1890-1943's entry for "Mrs. Johnson"

Author Topic: Bo Carter's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips  (Read 50116 times)

Offline psiico24

• Howdy!
Re: She's Your Cook But She Burns My Bread Sometimes - HELP!
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
Thank you! 

I'll post a vid when I make one, have a feeling I'll be changing it to C though just because it works better on the uke in C then Bb.  HMm, drop tune the uke? :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:15:14 PM by psiico24 »

Offline psiico24

• Howdy!
Re: She's Your Cook But She Burns My Bread Sometimes - HELP!
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
Now that I know it I see why I was having so much trouble figuring it out.  The recording I'm going from is not in A440, it's a bit high.  Doh! Lesson learned for next time.

Offline Witty Username

Same Thing the Cats Fight About
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
not being a guitar picker (I play banjo), all I can really do is hack. But, I'm trying to learn this song on the guitar because it has stuck to me, for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's in c out of standard tuning. can anyone help with some of the other chords and the bass runs?

thanks heaps,
Sam

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Re: Same Thing the Cats Fight About
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »
not being a guitar picker (I play banjo), all I can really do is hack. But, I'm trying to learn this song on the guitar because it has stuck to me, for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's in c out of standard tuning. can anyone help with some of the other chords and the bass runs?

Actually, this song is out of B Flat position.   For a lesson in playing B Flat, take a gander at Frankie's post here:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=501.0

That should get you started.

Cheers, and welcome to weeniecampbell.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »
the bo carter rdcording is played out of b-flat, but the sheiks recording of the same title is played out of c. which one are you asking about,  witty?

Offline Witty Username

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:53 AM »
there you go, b-flat. once again, not a guitarer.
I mean the bo carter solo recording.
any tips in how to do it? I reckon I could figure out the bass and stuff if I had some chords for it.

Thanks heaps,
Sam

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2012, 07:14:50 AM »
I only hear a single guitar, but both walter and bo's voices. Walter sings the first line, Bo the second and they both sing the chorus. The guitar is either tuned a bit sharp or the recording plays back a bit fast, so either tune to their pitch or bring the pitch of the recording down about one half step with quicktime or something similar.

The chords for the sung part are:

Bflat | Bflat | Eflat7 | C7 | F | F | Bflat | Bflat

Each chord gets 4 beats. You could capo to their pitch and play G shapes:

G | G | C7 | A7 | D | D | G | G

Add bass runs to according to your tastes and ability.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Bo Carter's Guitar Style--Queries and Tips
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Hi all,
We're trying out something new here.  There were probably between 10-15 threads on Bo Carter's music with questions, answers, etc., but they were spread out all over the Licks and Lessons Board.  We merged all of those threads to contain (and add from this point onward) any posts with questions or tips for playing Bo's guitar parts.  We figured we have musician-specific lyric threads--why not musician-specific playing threads?  All titles from the original threads have been kept unchanged for ease in following the original discussions.  We hope this will make it easier to find the information that has accumulated over the years on the different players, all in one source, for the most popular players who have generated a lot of queries and discussion.
All best,
John

Offline craigmulcahy

Bo Carter - What You Want Your Daddy to Do?
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
Hey guys.

Wondering if I can borrow your ears/knowledge on something here. I'm trying to understand the theory of this song a little better.

Is this progression simply A, D7, G7, C?

I can't seem to make the A sound right at the start of the verse. I have all the runs down and got the solo worked out but struggling to work out the theory side of things. If that is the general progression is this song in the Key of C and it just resolves to the I cord each time....

Offline craigmulcahy

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2013, 08:02:30 AM »
Well, I'm sticking with the A at the start of the verse and I guess now i've played it a little more it all seems to work....

I guess the fact that the I chord isn't really played until the end of the progression it confused me a little.

VI | II7 | V7 | I

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2013, 08:52:34 AM »
Well, I'm sticking with the A at the start of the verse and I guess now i've played it a little more it all seems to work....

I guess the fact that the I chord isn't really played until the end of the progression it confused me a little.

VI | II7 | V7 | I

You've got it craigmulchy. He doesn't always resolve the progression all the way to the I (C) chord, but starts again after the V7 (G7) chord, which is kind of confusing too.

Cheers

Pan

Offline craigmulcahy

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »
Thanks Pan,

I'll keep my ears peeled for that one.

Cheers!

Offline craigmulcahy

« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
The Law Gonna Step on You - Bo Carter

In my ongoing obsession with Bo Carter and the nuts and bolts of putting these songs together, I've been working on 'The Law Gonna Step on You'. Awesome song and working out's been real fun too!

I'm pretty sure what I'm playing is right but I like to write out the progressions and this is taxing me a little. I'm pretty sure I have the notes but I don't know if I'm thinking of them as the right chords if that makes sense.

I'm playing it in the DGDGBE tuning. Key of G. Bo's pitch is one step high on the recording I have.
Here is how i'm thinking of the progression at the moment.

G | Eb-dim | E-dim | E-dim/Eminor |
G | E7        | A       | run in D/G (not sure how to classify this)

G | Eb-dim | E-dim | E-dim/Eminor |
G | E7       | A/D7   | G7/E-dim | G/D7

Chords like this:

G - D shape at the 7th fret

Eb-dim

E 5
B 7
G 8
D x
G
D x

E-dim

E 6
B 8
G 9
D x
G
D x

Eminor

E 7
B 8
G 9
D
G
D

E7 - A7 shape at the 9th fret
A  - D7 shape at the 9th fret

I'd like to invite discussion as to weather I have these chords right and the theory behind the progression.

Cheers!

Craig

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Hi Craig,
You have the shapes right, I'd name several of the chords differently.  What you're calling Ebdim, I'd call B7, what you're calling Edim, I'd call C7, and what you're calling Em, I'd call G6.  When he resolves to that G6 chord, it really sounds like he's resolving back to the I chord, not going to the relative minor.  In the second portion of the progression, when he gets into the VI (E)--II (A)--V (D) circle of fifths movement, he does them all as either straight major chords, or dominant seventh chords, just as you have it.
Like I said, I believe you have the chord shapes and sound spot on, I think the two diminished chords are actually dominant seventh chords (with a non-chord tone low D in the bass).  I believe I incorrectly identified that shape as a diminished chord on the notes to the old Yazoo LP "Bo Carter, Vol. 2, "Twist It, Babe".
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal