collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ask that pawn shop man, "What's them three balls doin' hangin' on that wall?" (He) said, "It's two to one daddy, you don't get your things back out of here at all" - Blind Boy Fuller, Three Ball Blues

Author Topic: New Buddy Moss vinyl LP of 1963 recordings by George Mitchell  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
New Buddy Moss vinyl LP of 1963 recordings by George Mitchell
« on: November 07, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
From George Mitchell's facebook page:

"Fat Possum/Big Legal Mess Records has just issued an LP (vinyl) of the recordings I made of him in 1963, the first recordings made of Moss since 1941, and he was as good, or great, as he had ever been. In a few days I will post my story of finding and recording him. In the meantime, this is a fine new LP."

http://biglegalmessrecords.com/product/buddy-moss/the-george-mitchell-collection-2/

Cheers

Pan

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
Re: New Buddy Moss vinyl LP of 1963 recordings by George Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 02:30:06 AM »
This is exciting, I can't wait to get my hands on it, I can remember being frustrated for a long time looking for postwar Buddy Moss material, I spent $90 on that Rediscovery LP and was not disappointed, apart from wishing I checked YouTube first where it was uploaded in full. It would be fascinating to hear more, having read of the difficulties of working with Moss.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:35:08 AM »
I've got some of this stuff on the George Mitchell box set but I'd love to hear more. He was really still in fine form on the stuff I've heard, particularly Oh Lordy Mama.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
I've got some of this stuff on the George Mitchell box set but I'd love to hear more. He was really still in fine form on the stuff I've heard, particularly Oh Lordy Mama.

True. On the B-side of the LP there are 4 unpublished songs by Moss;

1. Instrumental #1
3. Unfinished Business
4. You Need a Woman
5. That Will Never Happen

If I'm not mistaken.

Cheers

Pan

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
Hi Pan,

The 4 songs have been available on MP3/cd for awhile. They are currently available on iTunes, for example.

They are great tracks and Moss really is in fine form for the Mitchell recordins.

Thanks,
            Scott

Offline oddenda

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »
Buddy - my biggest "failure"! God knows I tried, even after the pistol episode*, and a few years later being asked by Jerry Ricks, "Why do you put up with his shit?!" He was THAT f***ing good, and he was his worst enemy. So close, yet so far. Don't forget the videos from Berea College ca. 1970 r so - his version of "Miss Otis Regrets" [titled by him as "Madame"] is wrought with irony.

* go to www.peterblowry.com for that story!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:58:30 PM by oddenda »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal