collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
There's nothing magical about guitar playing. Being a good guitar player requires more finesse than factory work. It does not require as much finesse as being a good plumber - Andy Cohen (roughly), Port Townsend 2016

Author Topic: The Foddrell Brothers  (Read 2272 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
The Foddrell Brothers
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »
I thought I would pass along this link to a bio of the Foddrell brothers - Marvin and Turner, and family. The Foddrells can be heard on the Virginia Traditions CDs, Western Piedmont Blues and Non-Blues Secular Black Music put out by the Blue Ridge Institute for Appalachian Studies, although according to the pdf document below there are another 57 recordings in the holdings of Berea College, plus 9 songs on video.

There were also two albums released in Europe and they also apparently sold some cassettes through their grocery store. Anyone heard any of these? I do like the Foddrell recordings I have on the BRI CD Western Piedmont Blues.

http://www.berea.edu/hutchinslibrary/specialcollections/amfp/foddrell.pdf

Offline Colin Brooks

Re: The Foddrell Brothers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:01:11 AM »
That's A Ford Model A, not a T. Probably a 28 or 29.

Offline oddenda

Re: The Foddrell Brothers
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
Marvin and, especially, Turner were fine musicians. I had been introduced to them at Wolf Trap by Kip Lornell and ended up recording them both in depth [33 sides for Marvin, 45 for Turner] in my final years "in the field". Brilliant musicians and fine people. Got enough for an album by each brother, and one with both, maybe one with family (Lynn).

pbl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal