collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Have wife, must travel - Lazy Lester, Sticker on converted ammo box harp case

Author Topic: Nappy Head Blues - Bobby Grant  (Read 1399 times)

bayrum78

Nappy Head Blues - Bobby Grant
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »

I've always enjoyed singing this song in the shower and on my workday commute. I finally got up the nerve to try and play this song on slide which I haven't attempted to play in years. Playing in open G and tuned down pretty far.

Offline CF

Re: Nappy Head Blues - Bobby Grant
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
Hey Bayrum, great tunes, great playing, if I had to make one comment it'd be your singing which is coming across to me as a bit much, on the border of parody. I'd suggest trying to inject a bit more of your own actual voice into your singing. It can be very hard to do, I know, but I think it will make for a more authentic performance style. 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
Bayrum, if this is your singing voice, and I believe it is when I compare it to your other video's, then stick to it : it's great!
For me it's neither "too much" nor "on the border of parody" and I would even go further : if we would hear your version of this song in the form of a crackly 78, we would hail it as an important discovery!
All the best,
Carl

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
I can see how the singing style bayrum uses might strike some folks as rather unusual (I just love it myself), but it's perhaps worth mentioning that it's far from unprecedented, with Dock Boggs, musicians in the Carolina Tar Heels gang like Dock Walsh and Clarence Ashley, Hayes Shepherd (really close to Nate's singing style, IMO), even Charlie Poole sometimes and I'm sure others, all singing with a pretty similar loud high nasal tone to varying degrees.

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
Let me clarify: I'm not saying that I don't like Bayrum's voice, I do, I'm wondering if it's his actual voice or an impression of an old-timey Kentuckian. If Bayrum is a Southerner then I might be out of line . . . if he's from Bangor or Sarnia, I stick by my opinion  :)

Offline frankie

• DoneGone.net
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
Nate's from VA - plenty southern! Knowing Nate, his singing voice is a natural extension of his speaking voice (and personality!).

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:27 AM »
CF, got it. Though feel bad for the guy from Sarnia.  ;)

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
Nate's from VA - plenty southern! Knowing Nate, his singing voice is a natural extension of his speaking voice (and personality!).

Ah, gotcha . . . don't mind me Bayrum, just hoping Weenie's are keeping it real   :D

As I said, great tunes & playing, keep it up.

Offline BlueInGreen

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:49:15 AM »
Excellent! I always enjoy listening to your stuff. Could be right off the Anthology of American Folk Music!

bayrum78

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks BlueinGreen! I hope to share more slide material now that I realize it isn't totally beyond me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal