collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now why don't you do something from your neck of the woods? - Carl Rutherford, to Mick Knight, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: 32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)  (Read 732 times)

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
I was waiting till i had something really good to post here. I still don't think i have it but i thought i could wait forever to perfect something or just give it a try. So here it is, a cover of a classic Robert Johnson song.

Offline Rob Hutten

• Rob's home page
Re: 32 20 blues whit a raggy feel (kinda)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:06 AM »
Hey, perfection is over-rated. This is excellent, man.

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
Nice playing there DanJM! May I ask what made you do a ragtime version?
 Yogi

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Thanks Yogi. Its weird, this is the first delta blues song i felt in love with years ago, and what i initially liked about it was the steady rhythm of the monotonous bass. So i learned to play it that way. Later on as i began to learn more about other country blues styles i thought it would be fun just to mess around whit the song using alternating bass. Then i come up whit that little solo in the middle and because i felt good to be able to do my own version of the song i kept playing it this way.

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
It is nice to have one's own version. I look forward to your next post here on the back porch and I hope very much for an eerie delta version of Rag Mama!
 Yogi

Offline DanJM

• PULQUE Y BLUES
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
It is nice to have one's own version. I look forward to your next post here on the back porch and I hope very much for an eerie delta version of Rag Mama!
 Yogi

Thanks, ill sure post more. I do play rag mama rag, but in the style of The wiyos. Here a badly recorded version: https://soundcloud.com/pulqueyblues/rag-mama-rag-cover-a-blind-boy

I've never thought of doing a delta version but ill sure give it a try.

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:46:31 AM »
Yeah cool job, yes it's one of the first blues I ever heard and for years thought of it as delta blues but now I think the mention of RAG is closer to the truth there is a jazzy touch to the tune and realizing that Robert learned so mush from records I think acoustic big city blues is actually what the style is for this particular great tune. Being done on an electric hasn't diminished the song one bit. Thanks for posting.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal