collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't want to get my throat cut by a sand-footin' woman or anything unnecessary like that - Bukka White

Author Topic: counterfeiting 78s? Does it happen?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
counterfeiting 78s? Does it happen?
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
Many other fields of collecting have issues with bogus items being sold, some of which are very, very well made replicas of the original item. With blues 78s being so valuable, I wonder if there are fakes floating around out there. Does anyone know anything about the production or sales of reproductions of blues 78s?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:24:04 PM by poymando »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: counterfeiting 78s? Does it happen?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
I seem to remember a story about a counterfeit copy of Clarksdale Moan/Mississippi County Farm Blues that someone made up years ago, but I think it was a joke, not fraud. I can't remember where I read that though, probably in 78 Quarterly.

Offline hortig78rpm

Re: counterfeiting 78s? Does it happen?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »
hello

there had been many reissues of blues in the 4o`s and 5o`s. companies like jazz collector,biltmore, AFJM did many 78``s but country blues even gets rare on that label:
hokum boys, blind blake, blind lemon jefferson, elzadie robinson. next to jazz reissues they concentrate on ealry blues / boogie piano: will ezell, leroy garnett, henry brown,
davenport, lofton etc.
john steiner, when he bought the remains of the paramount company also did some
reissues, you can notice them beeing 14ooo numbers.
in the 6o`s son house and skip james were issued on vinyl 78`s with the herwin logo.
during those yearsmany companies made vinyl tests direct from the metal-masters for reissue on LP. these tests turn up regulary.
the clarksdale moan was  a joke of somebody from the 78 quarterly stuff, same as the
willie brown cake in form of a 78 rpm.

regards
mike

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal