collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I listen to old music, that's one of the few times that I actually have a kind of love for humanity - Robert Crumb

Author Topic: Blues and Gospel Records : 1890-1943 (Blues and Gospel Records)  (Read 15294 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!
I wonder if anyone can comment on Dixon & Godrich. It looks like 9 years since the last edition. Will there be another. Also, how did they get all the info for the first edition? Definitely a giant accomplishment. Their slim "Recording the Blues" book is still one of my favorites, and can easily be reread a few times.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Blues and Gospel Records : 1890-1943 (Blues and Gospel Records)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
I thought I remembered word last year of a reprint, unrevised, of B&GR coming from Oxford (or Routledge?) but I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone else know?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:25:17 AM »
I thought I remembered word last year of a reprint, unrevised, of B&GR coming from Oxford (or Routledge?) but I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone else know?
You are quite correct. It had been out of print for about four years when OUP New York snuck out a limited reprint last year without informing the compilers or the book trade. Considering it was OUP Oxford who originally published it whilst NY were skeptical of a marketplace for it, somebody across the pond must have had to eat humble pie. Brits who buy the reprint are effectively buying it from New York!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:38:48 AM »
I wonder if anyone can comment on Dixon & Godrich. It looks like 9 years since the last edition. Will there be another. Also, how did they get all the info for the first edition? Definitely a giant accomplishment. Their slim "Recording the Blues" book is still one of my favorites, and can easily be reread a few times.
The first edition was published 1964, 2nd 1969, 3rd 1982 and 4th 1997 so at that rate of escalation I'm not holding my breath for an updated version in my life time. ;D

Regarding how they gathered the information together for that very first edition, I though that was briefly outlined in the "history" part of Howard Rye's introduction to the volume. But I may be confusing it with something else.

As to "Recording The Blues" it is reprinted in "Yonder Comes The Blues" (Cambridge UP, 2001) with a very useful and enlightening commentary upon it by Howard Rye. The book also reprints two other Studio Vista paperbacks - Blacks, Whites & Blues and Savannah Syncopators

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
Reviving this old thread as I have a question. What are the differences between the 4th and 3rd edition of Blues and Gospel Records? And does anyone know whether the 4th edition is in fact available? Amazon.com has it listed as a 4 to 6 weeks delivery item, but I suspect an order would go unfilled.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »
Reviving this old thread as I have a question. What are the differences between the 4th and 3rd edition of Blues and Gospel Records? And does anyone know whether the 4th edition is in fact available? Amazon.com has it listed as a 4 to 6 weeks delivery item, but I suspect an order would go unfilled.
Apart from taking the date parameter back to 1890 from 1902 (and updating the damned thing!), the major changes are two very useful indices - title and accompanist - and thanks to the Document project the former is virtually accurate. If songs of the same title are different they are listed separately having been determined by the listening process. ;D

If it were me I'd order it. Should it arrive and you decide it's not your cup of meat there's a markeplace for it in the UK...

bobo

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
Nauck's has some copies for sale at 137.00. The Fourth edition is way better then the 3rd edition. It is worth every penny.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
I have the fourth edition and as bobo say's worth every penny.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the lead, Bobo. Alas, I tried Nauck's and was told it's out of print and not available for order.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:50:34 PM »
Amazon.com has it listed as a 4 to 6 weeks delivery item, but I suspect an order would go unfilled.
If it were me I'd order it. Should it arrive and you decide it's not your cup of meat there's a markeplace for it in the UK...

I'll second BH's suggestion. It's possible that Amazon's suppliers differ from Nauck's. It's worth a shot.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 09:18:20 PM »
Try here....
http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/24335/subject/Reference/?view=usa&ci=9780198162391&view=usa

Hi Bobo:

I was just making a suggestion in the event that there may still be a few unsold copies in the pipeline somewhere--not questioning your knowledge. Sorry for the confusion.

Stuart

bobo

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
Stuart
I just added the link because Oxford seems to have 4 copies left at 100 each.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:19 AM »
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I have heard back from an Oxford UP US customer service rep. I had asked whether, despite the fact that the book is out of print, there was any stock left that might be lingering at Oxford UP somewhere, that I knew a limited reprint had been done a couple years ago etc. This was at the suggestion of one of the author-editors and I specified this as well in my inquiry. Alas, the answer is that they have no stock.

Will just have to keep my eyes peeled...

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 05:45:34 PM »
I could make you a photocopy, it's only 1370 pages...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal