collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Can't you imagine how I feel now, I done told my real milk cow bye-bye - Freddie Spruell, Milk Cow Blues

Author Topic: Christmas presents  (Read 890 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Christmas presents
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
Well what country blues related goodies did you get this year. I got four:

Lowell Fulson, My First Recordings, Arhoolie. I really like just listening this guy day-to-day for quite a few reasons, mostly the weird but perfect timing.
Howling Wolf bio, hardback. I may comment elsewhere after I've had a chance to read it.
R.Crumb: The Complete Record Cover Collection. The blurb on R.Crumb's site says "is a must-have for any lover of graphics and old-time music." That's me to a T. Nice!
R.Crumb Trading Cards: Early Jazz Greats. Bix was the first card looking at me after I removed the shrink wrap and opened the box. Fabulous portraits and presentation.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Christmas presents
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:20 AM »
Blues Images calendar (of course)
CP t-shirt
JSP Sonny Boy collection
Daddy Hotcakes  download
Son House bio

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
What is (happily) becoming a Christmas standard:

LPs from Honest Jon's: Fred McDowell/The Lomax Recordings; Various artists/The Rain Don't Fall on Me; Betty Wright/LP featuring the classic "Clean Up Woman".

Also Andy Kershaw's autobiography.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
I got:

JSP box set - Django Reinhardt, The Classic early recordings
John Miller's Hillbilly Blues DVD :)
"How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life" Stories by John Fahey  (apparently back in print, my eldest son who has an indie publishing company may start working with the record label to get more of these obscure books published)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
I received a recently released book of the writings of the late music writer, Robert Palmer, called "Blues & Chaos".  His interests and what he chose to write about are very far-reaching, and he wrote so well that you can open the book to almost any of his pieces, ranging from an essay on Robert Pete Williams after he died to an interview with William Burroughs, and be grabbed right away.  I think it's a great book.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:19:08 AM by Johnm »

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

Blueridge BR-43

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
Congratulations on the new guitar, Lindy.  That looks like a beauty.
All best,
Johnm

bayrum78

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
Jessie-Mae Hemphill CD -She-Wolf
Blues Images calendar ( I wanted the Lane Hardin track mostly  but also love the graphics)
The Modern Down Home  Blues Sessions Vol 4. ( for Hardin, but REALLY like the Pine Top Slim material)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
Congratulations on the new guitar, Lindy.  That looks like a beauty.

Thanks, John. It's rare for me to have a case of GAS, but I've been longing to play something smaller than a dreadnaught for a couple of years now. All of the parlor guitars in my price range were really great in the altos but a bit lacking in the baltos. This 000 fit the bill in both respects.

Lindy

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 02:08:26 PM »
Alan Lomax's The Land Where the Blues began, which believe it or not I'd somehow never gotten around to reading.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:28:33 AM »
Alan Lomax's The Land Where the Blues began, which believe it or not I'd somehow never gotten around to reading.
That's one I own but have never read. I've tried to read it and found it either difficult or boring - maybe it's me being thick. Usually books on "our subject" are lapped up with greed, but not in this case. Will have to try again some time. What do other Weenies think?
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:37 AM »
I had exactly the same issue with that book and like you PP will try again some day....

Thanskfully I got the MJH and Big Bill Books for Christmas so they are first !

Also couple of my missing Document CD's which I have to say a pretty good.
Tampa Red Vol1
and Georgia Tom Vol 2

and John's ear training DVD...

Lots to do in 2012 for me !

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:42 AM »
Well... I was going to say nothing.

However, we had a second Xmas day today (with siblings and their kids, and parents- utter chaos) and I landed the Barbecue any old time cd, some Sonny and Brownie (i havent previously had any of their stuff) and a complete BB Fuller set.  So all good ;)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
I was lucky to receive several music-related items:

Friends of Old Time Music - the 3-disc box set out on Smithsonian Folkways, live recordings from FOTM concerts held in 1961-65 in New York. John Hurt, Jesse Fuller, Fred McDowell, Dock Boggs, Roscoe Holcomb, Joseph Spence, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, Hobart Smith, Maybelle Carter and a number of other musicians who appeared in these concerts (though unfortunately not all - both Gus Cannon and Furry Lewis appeared at one of the shows but aren't here). A real nice collection.

Rev. Gary Davis - Manchester Free Trade Hall 1964. This Document disc has RGD in very fine form, cutting right through the less than great sound quality.

Fire In My Bones: Raw + Rare + Otherworldly African-American Gospel 1944-2007 - I don't think this wonderful gospel compilation has been mentioned on Weenie yet, but it's great (and at least one Weenie helped out with it). Record store owner recommended it to the gift purchaser based on the above, and was right, as I had already bought the set several months earlier. So exchanged for Elizabeth Cotten - Shake Sugaree and Document's Male Blues of the Twenties Vol 2.

Gone to the Country: The New Lost City Ramblers and the Folk Music Revival by Ray Allen. Am part way into this book and finding it an enjoyable read, very interesting history of the revival and NLCR.

Plus a total post-Christmas bonus in the shape of a visit from frankie and kim.

Ridiculous! Feel like I need to do a good deed.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »
I was lucky to receive several music-related items:

Friends of Old Time Music - the 3-disc box set out on Smithsonian Folkways, live recordings from FOTM concerts held in 1961-65 in New York. John Hurt, Jesse Fuller, Fred McDowell, Dock Boggs, Roscoe Holcomb, Joseph Spence, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, Hobart Smith, Maybelle Carter and a number of other musicians who appeared in these concerts (though unfortunately not all - both Gus Cannon and Furry Lewis appeared at one of the shows but aren't here). A real nice collection...

Ridiculous! Feel like I need to do a good deed.

They are really some nice gifts--"Must haves" for every good boy and girl in Weenieland, to say the least.

Just a reminder that the original FOTM is still available from Folkways:

http://www.folkways.si.edu/albumdetails.aspx?itemid=231

http://media.smithsonianfolkways.org/liner_notes/folkways/FW02390.pdf

It's a nice complement to the newer 3 CD set.

As for a good deed,  rest assured that the opportunity will arise... ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal