collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got a gal, she lives in town. I'm gonna see if I can run her down - James Cole's String Band, I Got A Gal

Author Topic: PT loot - Lightnin' Wells, Eleanor Ellis, John Miller and others  (Read 813 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
A few purchases made at the Port Townsend workshop that I thought I would mention. Lightnin' Wells has a new CD out with Bullfrog Willard McGhee, Tad Walters and Boo Hanks. McGhee spearheaded the project, which is called "Pink and Mr. Floyd" and features songs that were played by Pink Anderson and Floyd Council (and Floyd backing up Blind Boy Fuller). It's a strong CD and will definitely be of interest to those who like their country blues with a Carolina flavor. The CD sales will also help raise funds for a gravestone for Floyd Council.

I also picked up Eleanor Ellis's "Comin' a Time", which is not new (2007), but I like Eleanor and think she has a way with a song and is a great singer. So there.

Rounded out my purchases with John Miller's Country Blues Guitar Collection (now sold out in Port Townsend :)), St. Louis guitar dvd, and Elijah Wald's new book on the Dozens.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: PT loot - Lightnin' Wells, Eleanor Ellis, John Miller and others
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Should keep you off  the streets for a while...

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
yup, though perhaps not out of trouble.

Elijah Wald did a late-night, adults-only lecture on the Dozens with song selections that was very entertaining and basically sold me on the book, which is thoroughly filthy if anyone is wondering.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »
Yep, I was too late to pick up Johnm's book - so I will order online.  Lightin' gave me a copy of "Pink and Mr. Floyd" to put on the juke, so look for that -- I agree, a strong CD.... had not heard Bullfron Willard McGhee - he is quite excellent.  I also picked up a copy of the dozens, which I have not gotten to yet.  Elijah Wald's presentation sold me on the book as well - well attended, very entertaining, and he knew when to quit.  :P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
I picked up Johnm's regional series of DVDs, Memphis, St Louis, Texas, Jackson & Atlanta.

I thought at the time I was getting them to learn repertoire songs but actually Johnm's a stickler for right hand accuracy and I have some laziness in that department, tending to fall back onto alternating bass patterns when I should be doing something else, so good for me all round. I also missed out on John's book, but did get The Dozens.

I also picked up Ari's Lonnie Johnson, Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller DVDs after I got back which are excellent and are slowly revealing some of the mysteries (to me) of the ages.

The DVDs and 18 mando & guitar workshop recordings are keeping me quite focused on learning and will do for quite some time. I realized my playing was getting pretty stale before the workshop. I've played and practiced every day since I got back bar one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:37:01 AM by Rivers »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal