collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
'Scuse my cough, I slept in a chicken house last night. - Jesse Fuller

Author Topic: Autoharp query  (Read 698 times)

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Autoharp query
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:54 AM »
I just bought an old (70's) Chromaharp branded autoharp. As my left arm goes numb when I try to hold it upright, I was wondering if it is possible to move the chord bars towards the top so I can play lap style in the way I am used to? I know there are probably few harpers out here, but I trust the judgement of the Weenie masses more than some "experts."  Thank you, Larry
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline alyoung

Re: Autoharp query
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:36:18 AM »
Yes, you can do it, but you'll lose tone thru playing close to the saddle. If you do make the change, move the bars up as far as you can to create maximum playing area behind them. Another option might be to do the exact opposite -- move the bars as far back as you can towards the bottom of the instrument. That will open up more space towards the top and that might ease your numbness problems by giving you more playing space so your arm isn't so constricted. You'll always get better tone playing in the cross-arm style ... but then again all those great old players like Pop Stoneman, Kilby Snow et al played lap style; their sound is harsh, but it's also great. 

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Autoharp query
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »
Thank you very kindly, Mr. Young. I always get a slight rattle playing at the top, even on brand new harps. P.S., I learned a ton from Pop, Kilby, and turns out that great-grandpa was a cousin to the Benfield clan. Oh, the joys of interview tape damage!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal