collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This world is not made to suit no one man's order - Roosevelt Sykes, from Blues Collection 46, Orbis Publishing pg 550)

Author Topic: Zeno Dreamed - a new CD from Bruce Nemerov  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Zeno Dreamed - a new CD from Bruce Nemerov
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »
Zeno Dreamed is the title of the brand new solo CD by Weenie member Bruce Nemerov. For those of you who don't know Bruce, he's a singer, guitarist and folklorist from Rutherford County, Tennessee. He's also a Grammy winning writer, record producer and theatrical music director, as well as a cast member in the show Riders Radio Theater, starring Riders in the Sky. When you see him perform, as I did last year in Edinburgh, expect a grand tour of the roots of American music. Not to be buttonholed to a particular style, he's a master of many, from blues to rags to gospel to Souza marches. The opening track, The Battle of Waterloo March and Rag, is an instrumental with a distinctly celtic feel to it. This then gives way to Irish Hands, a bittersweet tribute to the Irish labourers indentured to teach dry stone wall building skills to slaves in the deep South. General Rutherford's Waltz celebrates the flawed memory of its eponymous anti-hero, a hellraising, heavy drinking military man of Scots descent who stole Cherokee land, was honoured by George Washington, and who eventually bought property in Tennessee and bestowed his name on the county where Bruce now lives. The Hustling Gambler successfully postulates what might have happened had Dock Boggs and Blind Willie Johnson ever encountered one another, whilst Deist's Blues, played on a particularly fine, deep, throaty 12 string, presents a challenge to Southern Bible Belt religion in the same way, and with the same impact, that Washington Phillips' Denomination Blues once did.  Cannon County Rag bounces the listener along dry, dusty, country roads before ending, with a jazzy smile on its face, at its final destination. The Dreadful Wind and Rain is as good a version as you'll hear of the Child Ballad The Twa Sisters, an ancient murder ballad with Scandinavian, as well as Scottish antecedents. Bruce's voice, as elsewhere, has a lonesome quality that particularly suits this song. Lonesome not in the same sense that my voice is lonesome (when I sing, everybody leaves the room), but lonesome in the sense of wistful, plaintiff, downright Southern. Auld Greensleeves and Old Black Joe juxtaposes two fine instrumentals, whilst This Little Light recalls and refreshes the  popular early 20th century children's gospel tune.  The CD winds up with two live performance tracks, Amazing Grace and Kentucky Blues ? the former a solo bottleneck version, the latter featuring the fine dobro picking of Ellsworth Ed Dye. Overall verdict: exceptionally fine picking and singing from someone who can really communicate his complex musical DNA. I love this CD and think you might too. It's on Spring Fed Records and will shortly be available to buy online here: http://www.artscenterofcc.com/spring-fed.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:23:16 AM by Prof Scratchy »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Zeno Dreamed - a new CD from Bruce Nemerov
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »
Thanks for this review, Prof. Scratchy.  It sounds like a fascinating program on the CD.  The range of influences is especially appealing.  I will seek this out.
All best,
Johnm

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Thanks to Prof. Scratchy for the kind words about Zeno Dreamed.
It's now available from the Spring Fed website.  http://springfedrecords.com
Click on the "sales" button on the left-hand column...for some unknown reason it's not listed under the "catalog" page yet.
Some other items of interest there: live shows from Sam & Kirk McGee, Uncle Dave, and the Davis Unlimited recordings of Tennessee Valley fiddlers.
If you prefer to talk to a human the number is 1-800-235 9073.
I hope Weenies like the CD....if not, Professor Scratchy will give you your money back (in devalued British Pounds).  ;D
best,
bruce

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
thanks for the clarification on the website, bruce...  I went looking for it after I saw PS's review, but it was hard to find...  I did end up getting to sound samples, but I think it was through your website...  something like that, anyway.  Congratulations on the CD!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:21:58 AM »
I hope Weenies like the CD....if not, Professor Scratchy will give you your money back (in devalued British Pounds). 

Correction: If you don't like the CD, Professor Scratchy will instantly replace it with a CD he doesn't like...

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:39 AM »
I do hope you're not going to get rid of your collection of Kylie CDs.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
After the 2nd night of listening to this CD, I must confess that I absolutely love it!

Congratulations on a fine album, Bruce!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:17:26 AM »
I've been listening to Zeno Dreamed for about a week now and it just keeps getting better. It's an excellent album with a lot of range and depth and I recommend it highly.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal