collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I woke up and remember having to go into my room to get some clothes or something out of my chest of drawers. I was very quiet, as I could hear Rev snoring and didn't want to wake him. Well, I got whatever it was and I was headed toward the door when I heard in a commanding voice,"Don't move or you're dead!". I turned around to see Rev with a .38 revolver in his hand pointed in my general direction, but sort of moving around so as to cover a wider target area. I remember screaming something to the effect of, "No--don't shoot." Rev replied, "One wrong move and you're dead." Well, then I started talking a mile a minute..."Rev, it's me, it's Barry, don't shoot Rev...I was only getting something from my chest of drawers..." Finally, Rev said, "Is that you, Barry?" The incident was soon over, and I had escaped with me life. I guess, from his perspective, it must have been kind of weird to be alone, blind, on the road 3,000 miles from home and rooming with a bunch of lunatic young musicians many years his junior. But to this day, the picture of Reverend Gary Davis that sticks in my mind the most is early in the morning, half-awake and blind as a bat, with a .38 in his hand pointed in my general direction. It was one of the most frightening moments of my life - Barry Melton

Author Topic: Ernest Rodgers  (Read 1550 times)

Offline othartheom

Ernest Rodgers
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:00:03 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new around here and I thought you guys might be able to help me out with a question I've had for a while. I found a really great tune on the net that is public domain years ago. It's a version of "Willie the Chimney Sweeper" by Ernest Rodgers. I can't find any information on this guy. Does anyone know how much he recorded or anything like that?

thanks much

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
Re: Ernest Rodgers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:19:28 AM »
"Ernest Rodgers" doesn't appear in Blues and Gospel Records 1890-1943 as a recording artist, vocalist or accompanist.  B&GR reports that Ernest Rogers was recorded by the Library of Congress at Angola in July 1934, singing "Baby, Low Down, Oh, Low Down Dirty Dog" and that there was an Ernest Rogers who was a "hillbilly" recording artist.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »
It's the "hillbilly" artist who made the song "famous" and probably in Tony Russell's discography. I think he was from Atlanta and a former journalist turned stage performer. About a decade ago this song, its lineage and recordings was the topic of a Frankie Jaxon discussion on a blues internet group. Which one? Don't ask me, haven't a clue sorry.

Offline othartheom

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
Thanks for the info fellas

Tags: Ernest Rodgers 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal