collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The future ain't what it used to be - Yogi Berra

Author Topic: no soundwell  (Read 2157 times)

dabluz

no soundwell
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:34:20 AM »
elderly has a 1937 trojan on it's website. it needs a neck reset and a fret job. the neck set doesn't scare me. i've taken necks off dozens of stella's and other guitars, i've reset the neck on my 60's  hounddog and the fret job is a snap. my question is they have "NO SOUNDWELL" in caps. i'm not familiar enough with this particular guitar to ascertain what they mean by that. is it sound post type? is it "fake" like some prewar pseudo reso's. any body have any insight?

someone on the forum forwarded me the find. which i sincerely appreciate.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1639.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 06:35:32 AM by dabluz »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: no soundwell
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:29 AM »
I think I'd call them Dale, I always thought the soundwell is what holds the cone... but looking at the pictures -- that doen't make much sense.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:20:37 AM »
The soundwell is the ring the cone sits on, usually plywood or something, no? So the Elderly photos could have the guitar assembled for pretty picture purposes, but not in playing condition yet (since that cone would slide around).

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:00:50 AM »
The soundwell is a ring, or short tube, really, with a flange extending outward at the top, attached to the face of the guitar, and a flange extending inward at the lower end, upon which the cone sits. The soundwell only extends part way through the guitar and is supported also by the neck stick which runs under it. I don't know whether the soundwell in a Trojan is made of metal or laminated wood. I assume you could get one from NR-P, but don't know that for sure. You could also try Lenny.

But looking at the pics, it appears that the cone is in position and bearing the pressure of the strings? Perhaps the interior of the Trojan is different from other National resonators and the cone is supported by some other means and no soundwell is neccessary? Maybe Lee will see this thread and enlighten us? As Slack said, call Elderly and see what they say.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:08:44 AM »
Elderly doesn't "mock up" their pictures - what you see is what they've got hanging in the showroom, i.e. it is strung up.  They even say it plays fine for lap. 

My understanding - based solely on what I learned when looking to buy a reso, was that a full soundwell surrounds the cone as described, and affects the sound and resonance beyond just supporting the cone (hence the name soundwell, instead of cone support).  Similarly, a full soundwell isn't strictly required to support the cone, which can be achieved (more cheaply I gather) in other ways - don't ask me to describe, I can't, but I think the term "open" is used, which to me implies that the cone is vibrating within the entire inside of the guitar, rather than just within the soundwell.

Call 'em and ask 'em - they're very friendly up there.

tom

Offline slidnslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 02:33:18 AM »
In my understanding of Reso builder terms a sound-well is
 associated with spider setups,
 and its below the cone,cercular,with holes in it,and it affects the
 tone like a2tom mentioned,
 Ive heard with biscuit bridges its called the cone rest plat-form,
 The woodbodied Nationals had a wooden platform for the cone,
 why they refer ro a sound-well is beyond me!

Kenny,

dabluz

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:05:55 AM »
yea, i pretty much figured this guitar did not have a "sound well" as used in a spider cone, i am familiar with those. i have built two spider type reso's, my first was a kit usung a sound well but the second i used sound posts supporting a ring which the cone sat on. i've worked on severa wooden dobro's and they have a ring supported by the neck extension and posts as waxwing describes. i have never opened a wooden national before. i assumed it was similar to a dobro but wasn't sure. thanks for your responses.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:06:24 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Kenny. Indeed, googling "soundwell" brings up results that are pretty much all dobro/spider related.

Offline slidnslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
I would be hesitant in jumping on this one DaBluz,
 necksets on wooden Nationals are not easy at all,its a dove tail
 and supposedly Trojans are a real headache!
 The new Nationals have a metal platform built in them and I think
 thats why they sound more like metal ones than the older ones!

Kenny,

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal