collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's the guitar I play all the time. My children wanted to get it for me as a birthday present so they borrowed money from me to buy it - Jerry Ricks, on his Martin D76 guitar (a US Bicentennial model)

Author Topic: Songs you should be able to play and can't  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Songs you should be able to play and can't
« on: May 30, 2003, 11:10:43 PM »
OK I can't be the only one... what song would you really like to play but can't. I mean something that's well within your ability, and others can rattle off with apparent ease, but that you have failed to master every time you've had another go at it.

Mine is Police Dog Blues. Don't laugh, I know it's easy, a standard almost. It's always been one of my favorite songs but can I play it? Nope!

Just fishing for some interaction here y'understand...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 11:11:50 PM by Rivers »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re:Songs you should be able to play and can't
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 12:13:36 PM »
Gee, the list goes on and on.  :-\

Mississippi Blues for me - I've got the first part down pretty well,  but the boogie woogie bass break? You'd think after 10 years of trying -- I'd get it - nope, I cannot do it.

Any other fish?  :P

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 02:11:36 PM »
Hi all,
Let me add to the list.  Thus far, I have been baffled by Shirley Griffith's "Shaggy Hound Blues", from his Blue Goose album.  It's frustrating because I really love the tune, and have a good fix on the left hand, but the right hand has eluded me.  It sounds like he's just using thumb and index in the right hand, but there's a lot of stuff converging on the third and fourth strings, and I'm having a devil of a time sorting it out.  I hope to have it figured out by Port Townsend and possibly feature it in a class there.
All Best,
John        

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 05:09:16 PM »
I believe I will go on a Police Dog diet and try and nail my nemesis once again. Maybe I need a new guitar... hey there's a good idea!

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
Re:True Confessions (was__>Songs you should .. )
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 09:16:26 AM »
My list would take up too much bandwidth. However, I will confess to wanting to learn how to yodel (in a polite, Jimmie Rodgers sort of way). I have tried and tried, and can come very close when my voice is warmed up. But there must be a subconscious control that kicks in and says "Stop! What will people think!"

FrontPage
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 09:16:41 AM by FrontPage »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 03:59:49 PM »
Hi Bill,
I know the feeling.  I remember a country music record offer on TV some years ago hosted by Jerry Reed.  It opened up with Jerry standing there while Jimmie sang "T For Texas".  When Jimmie started yodeling on the chorus, Jerry said, "God I wish I could do that!"  Amen.
All Best,
John

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 10:40:25 AM »
The  list of songs I should be able to play but can't (yet) is virtually endless , but one I'd really like to get hold of  John Hurt's 'Candyman'.  I'm gettting closer, but need some help.  Maybe @ PT I'll beg for some help.
On another topic: I've got a beautiful Dana Bourgeois guitar and have been unhappy with the lack of a good shipping case for it.  Just got a Calton case for it and WOW - what a great case!  Anybody out there got a Calton, and if so any comments on it?
See y'all soon.
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 01:00:42 PM »
Sudbury,

If you cannot get satisfaction at PT - there is always John Millers video Missisppi John Hurt Vol. 2, if you want to really nail it.  I have not gone back to learn Candyman yet (but plan on it), but I've gone back and re-learned tunes like Spike drivers blues and Louis Collins etc. from John - these are tunes I learned early on when I was satsified with much less than accurate renditions, so I enjoy going back and making them better.  

Congrats on the Calton case - I believe they are the best and I do not have a guitar worthy of one!

cheers,

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 01:43:52 PM »
Thanks Slack - I'll get John's video re:Candyman.  Incidentally, much as I like my new and very sexy Calton case, and have always been thrilled with the Bourgeois guitar, it all comes with a serious risk that when someone sees these they will expect my playing to be worthy of them!  Sigh.
Sudbury. :-\
Sudbury

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 02:52:23 PM »
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it - we're all over the place, weenies are proud to have guitars they are not worthy of.  ;D

There was a great cartoon in Acoustic Guitar mag about a year ago - of a guy playing in a coffee house and the caption went something like: ..and now I'll sing a blues song about how this exquisite, handcrafted guitar is going to spend it's entire life in the hands of a mediocre player.

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
Re:Unworthy (was-->Songs you should...)
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 03:22:47 PM »
Sudbury - you just need to get yourself a beater. Manage expectations!

Cheers,
FrontPage
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Sudsbury

• Actually, I'm a Kiwi.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 02:25:35 PM »
Slack,
Thanks for the encouraging notion that I am not alone in owning a guitar of which I am not worthy.  Think I'll go find that Acoustic Guitar cartoon and frame it!   8)
 FP's suggestion of getting a beater is NFG - I've already got one of those, and indeed it was from that lowly start that my current international stature grew (presuming that going from Sudbury to PT counts as having international stature).  Can't go back, so I guess I'll have to find another way to 'manage expectations'.  Perhaps learning to play something well would be a start? :-\
2 1/2 weeks!
Sudbury
Sudbury

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 06:53:46 PM »
international stature).  Can't go back, so I guess I'll have to find another way to 'manage expectations'.  Perhaps learning to play something well would be a start? :-\
2 1/2 weeks!
Sudbury

Hey Sudbury,

The only expectations you have to manage are your own!

...which admittedly is tough at times.  As a fellow adult learner I've always thought I should be better, even from the when just starting out!  ;)

Hang in there, Candy Man ain't an easy one.

slack

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Songs you should be able to play and can't
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 01:01:46 PM »
Howdy:

The main bugger for me is Dryland Blues by Furry Lewis. I love the song but even with TAB and the record I have never been able to get the timing right.

And when it comes to singing, Willie Brown's M&O Blues. I can play the guitar part but I can't get the guitar and singing part together. Barbeque John's version has me trying again though.

Interesting thread, How 'bout reviving it, Slack.

BTW, How have you all been doing on you nemisises (sp?) after more than a year?

Alex
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 01:04:35 PM by pyrochlore »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Songs you should be able to play and can't
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 01:55:43 PM »
You bet, good idea.

I forgot about this thread, now you see why I sought some of JohnC's playing technique.  I have had a chance to plug in a couple of tehniique changes (a couple more to go) and it has helped a bunch already, I can now play the two sections much cleaner.

Know what you mean about M&O blues - been working a bit on that too - I've been checking my voice by playing the chord one time thorugh and then singing with the single not runs, that has helped get it from verse to verse, but not day to day. :)

We need to get JohnC to put some of his tunes on the Back Porch.

Cheers,
slack

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal