collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...in a car wreck in a little town called Mound Bayou Miss. I was visiting my mother. I drove 700 miles from Chicago. I was okay but on the return I fell asleep at the wheel. I was playing again the next day though. I never gave up. It cut my arm clean off and left it in the highway. Then I walked 2.5 miles to a girlfriend and picked up my arm and brought it on to Clarksdale. When the ambulance men come with stretchers, I was in bed smoking, so I drove back in front with the guys. I was in hospital for three days only. For a while I still had pain at night. As you know, fever rises at night and that's how it was - Big John Wrencher on losing his arm

Author Topic: Roosevelt Syke's quote  (Read 1164 times)

Offline bluesrus

Roosevelt Syke's quote
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
I have not been on in awhile sadly, but just I saw Roosevelt Syke's quote as the header.
Best ever.........It is so right there!
Keep up the great work and love.
Kenny Sultan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:58:50 AM by Slack »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Roosevelt Syke's quote
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
Well you should be sure to drop by regularly Kenny, we appreciate the kind words.

Since they fly by so fast, and you can't get back to them easily, I dug out all the Roosevelt Sykes quotes we have on file. I'm also kind of partial to his quotes, particularly this first one, which is the one I believe you might be referring to:

Now some people don't understand. They think a blues player has to be worried, troubled to sing the blues. That's wrong. I'll put it this way; there's a doctor, he has medicine. He's never, sick, he ain't sick, but he has stuff for the sick people. So the blues player, he ain't worried and bothered, but he's got something for the worried people. Doctor . . . you can see his medicine, you can see his patient. Blues . . . you can't see the music you can't see the patient because it's soul. So I works on the soul, and the doctor works on the body - Roosevelt Sykes, spoken on Smithsonian/Folkways Classic Blues anthology

This world is not made to suit no one man's order - Roosevelt Sykes, from Blues Collection 46, Orbis Publishing pg 550)

If the blues was whiskey, and trouble was a bottle of gin. I'd buy me a 38 special and that's where trouble would begin - Roosevelt Sykes, Trouble and Whiskey Blues

Plus a third party sighting of Roosevelt:

One Fourth of July, they were having a festival in downtown Memphis, with five or six stages and Charlie (Feathers) was playing on the rockabilly stage. I'm sitting there watching him and I turn around and there's this guy sitting behind me, all dressed up, smoking a cigar. Do you know who it was? It was Roosevelt Sykes, the Honeydripper! Just sittin' there, diggin' Charlie! - Kim Wood

Now I'm wondering if anyone has published a full biography on the man. A quick search didn't turn up anything.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:10:07 AM by Rivers »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
Now I'm wondering if anyone has published a full biography on the man. A quick search didn't turn up anything.
Nah matey, you jest surely?  ::)

Looking at his entry in Robert Ford?s Blues Bibliography there?s a fair amount been published. The 1990s Blues Collection booklet you cite is probably the closest. If you like I can see what I?ve got that might be worth OCRing and adding to the books & articles section.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »
If you like I can see what I?ve got that might be worth OCRing and adding to the books & articles section.

At least one of us here would like it a lot!

Offline LeftyStrat

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
If you like I can see what I?ve got that might be worth OCRing and adding to the books & articles section.

At least one of us here would like it a lot!

I'll echo that!   Make it 2 of us :)
Stop by and give a listen! :)

http://www.facebook.com/leftystratblues

Offline Shovel

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
love the quote generator up there.  if i leave a page without noticing what was up there, i feel like i probably missed out.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
Good stuff, bring it all on.

I was meaning a book I could buy, leaf through, and add to my collection, drift off to sleep reading by the light of the bedside lamp. But I'll take anything I can get! :P

I -think- I -almost- saw Roosevelt Sykes once. It was at a festival in the UK, I'd like to say Bath, Somerset, 1969 or so, or maybe Cambridge, but I'm not at all sure. I was so far from the stage it was impossible to become immersed in the music. It's one of the many regrets I have in my pursuit of good music. Does anyone know which festivals or other gigs he played in England, if any? I could be imagining the whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:48:06 PM by Rivers »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »
I definitely saw him in London in the early 1970s as part of a package. Can't remember who else played.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
Saw him in 1965 in Newcastle, he was on the AFBF package.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:46:36 AM »
... he was on the AFBF package.
So too was Little Brother Montgomery, fans of blues piano were given a treat that year.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
That's what I'm talkin' about. A full bio would have all that stuff, if it was worth its salt.

Offline jostber

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:21:52 AM »
Roosevelt Sykes was truly one of the greats. Love his music.

Tags: Roosevelt Sykes 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal