collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Yeah, you live so long, when you dead, you're done - Booker White, from "Furry Lewis, Bukka White & Friends - Party! At Home", Arcola Records A CD1001

Author Topic: W. C. Handy awards  (Read 1483 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
W. C. Handy awards
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:32:32 PM »
Good to see a few familiar names on this list . . . Paul Rishell and Annie Raines and Big Joe Duskin have been nominated for various accolades.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Memphis, TN  (December 15, 2004) – Fresh off the success of its sold out 2004 event, The Blues Foundation announces its nominees for the 2005 W.C. Handy Awards to be held May 5, 2005 at the Cook Convention Center.  Online voting begins December 16, and is restricted to Blues Foundation members only.

Acoustic Blues Album of the Year: Billy Branch & Kenny Neal - "Double Take"; Carey & Lurrie Bell - "Second Nature"; Corey Harris - "Mississippi To Mali"; Paul Oscher - "Alone With The Blues"; Paul Rishell & Annie Raines - "Goin' Home"

Acoustic Blues-Artist of the Year: Corey Harris; David "Honeyboy" Edwards; Eric Bibb; Paul Oscher; Paul Rishell & Annie Raines

Best New Artist Debut: John Lee Hooker, Jr. - "Blues With A Vengence"; Michael Powers - "Onyx Root"; Nora Jean Bruso - "Going Back To Mississippi"; The Bo-Keys - "The Royal Sessions"; Watermelon Slim - "Up Close & Personal"

Comeback Blues Album of the Year: Big Joe Duskin - "Big Joe Jumps Again!"; Gary U.S. Bonds - "Back In 20"

Historical Blues Album of the Year: Charles Brown - "A Life In The Blues" (Rounder Records); Hound Dog Taylor - "Release The Hound" (Alligator Records); Johnny Winter - "Second Winter" (Columbia/Legacy); Lucille Bogan - "Shave 'em Dry" (Columbia/Legacy); Muddy Waters - "Hard Again" (Epic/Legacy); Muddy Waters - "I'm Ready" (Epic/Legacy)

Instrumentalist-Other: Andra Faye - Mandolin; Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - Fiddle; Otis Taylor - Banjo; Robert Randolph - Pedal Steel Guitar; Sonny Rhodes - Lap Steel Guitar

Traditional Blues Album of the Year: Duke Robillard - "Blue Mood: The Songs Of T-Bone Walker"; James Cotton - "Baby Don't You Tear My Clothes"; Jody Williams - "You Left Me In The Dark"; Pinetop Perkins - "Ladies Man"; Sam Myers - "Coming From The Old School"

Traditional Blues-Female Artist of the Year: Jessie Mae Hemphill; Koko Taylor; Maria Muldaur; Nora Jean Bruso; Ruth Brown

Traditional Blues-Male Artist of the Year: Hubert Sumlin; Jody Williams; Pinetop Perkins; Robert Lockwood Jr.; Sam Myers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I cut out all the stuff that was not acoustic or country blues oriented.  You can get a list of the other nominees at http://www.blues.org

Lindy

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal